Ideal run fence

Me too! However, we have to be patient. I mean, don't we all want those fancy special coops? I'd be building coops every month if I could!
I’ll be building a new coop in March, my aunt has fencing, fence posts, an old shed, a swing set, and some wood that I’ll be clearing out of her backyard so I’ll try to use whatever is in good condition.

I’ll be building a new coop in March, my aunt has fencing, fence posts, an old shed, a swing set, and some wood that I’ll be clearing out of her backyard so I’ll try to use whatever is in good condition.
Awe, lucky! I've been keeping my quail in hutches inside my shed. I built a new nice coop for my chickens, but now that "new coop fever" is kicking in and I want to replace the old one (which just takes up space and is 4' tall) with a nicer one.

Awe, lucky! I've been keeping my quail in hutches inside my shed. I built a new nice coop for my chickens, but now that "new coop fever" is kicking in and I want to replace the old one (which just takes up space and is 4' tall) with a nicer one.
I so badly want to start my coop build but it’s freezing out and I have to wait until there’s no snow on the ground to get the lumber from my aunt.

1/4 cloth is easily ripped, 1/2 inch is stronger. Either way I'd add a layer of something sturdy. Climbers can get through 2X4 fence. Raccoons, fisher, etc. And that includes climbing over the top (and hawk, owls, etc.). 1X2 is better. I'd cover the entire thing with 1X2 (don't forget the apron), then cover the bottom 3 feet feet with 1/2 inch hardware cloth. I have black bear. I plan on adding electric fence, but I have started with dog run chain link to at least slow Mr Bruin down till I can chase him off. That is wraped in hardware on the bottom,1X2 everywhere else.

Good luck with your run and coop. :jumpy:jumpy

Thanks! But wait weasels and mink will easily pop through the 1 x 2. I'd thought do it all in 1/4 or 1/2 then lower down in 2 x 4 with electric to keep climbers from the top. I'm beginning to think there's just no way to do this without spending much more than I can.

When faced with something like this, it sometimes helps to make a decision tree. You ask a question and if yes, go one way, if no, go another.

For example.........will birds have free access to this run at night? If yes, then anything that can get into the run can get to the birds. So you have to then account for all nocturnal predators like weasels, coons, possums, skunks, owls, etc. That is a higher standard and may even require a roof to fully protect things. An 80' x 30' run built to this standard would be expensive. The cheapest I can think of off hand might be a used chain link fence to take on the big guys, covered by hardware cloth or perhaps 1/2" chicken wire to filter out the smaller guys. (yes, they make at least 3 sizes of chicken wire).

If no, and birds will only be yarded during the day, and locked up at night, then all you have to worry about is a tight coop. That changes everything. That being the case then this run may only need to confine the birds and protect against a much smaller spectrum of predators. Maybe a 2" x 4" fence, 5' high with a hot wire on top?

Back
Top Bottom