Ideal Shipping Time

CBee

Songster
11 Years
May 11, 2008
Asheville, NC
I put my desired shipping date as the 4th of this month, but I just got an e-mail saying it'd be the 9th.

If you live anywhere near Western NC, how long was it after the shipping date that you received your chicks?

I will be either at school or work on the 9th and 10th, and I don't want the chicks arriving with no one at home.
hmm.png

Last edited:
The post office shouldn't, and usually doesn't, deliver chicks to your home. Usually they will call you to come and collect them from the post office because it stresses them further driving the delivery route, and it's too risky to leave them at someone's house with nobody home. You can request that they call you as soon as they arrive; with one of my orders they called at 5am so I picked them up before work. Depending on how cooperative your post office is, they may call and ask if you want them delivered. We're a long way from town and almost as far from our mailbox, so they'll call me to let me know they're coming and meet me at the mailbox with them. Just be sure to call your local post office and check; the first time I ordered chicks I did, and they said they'd leave them in the mailbox, in June in TX
th.gif
I set them straight pretty quick.

Courtney, have you called the local post office and given them a heads up that you are expecting chicks?
Ideal puts your contact phone number on the box and the post office will usually call you as soon as the chicks arrive. I got the call at 6 AM.
The rural carriers around here don't deliver the chicks, so be prepared to pick them up at the post office.
BTW, I believe I know which small town west of Asheville you live in. It's my hometown.
wink.png

Quote:
Oh, how neat!
frow.gif
I live in Haywood County, about half an hour from the parkway. It's snowing like crazy here right now!

I'm glad I posted this question, I had no idea about the PO. Now all I need to do is figure out which one they'll send it to.
roll.png
I'm right in-between the two that townspeople use.

Quote:
Oh, how neat!
frow.gif
I live in Haywood County, about half an hour from the parkway. It's snowing like crazy here right now!

I'm glad I posted this question, I had no idea about the PO. Now all I need to do is figure out which one they'll send it to.
roll.png

I would think they'll send them to the same post office your carrier delivers mail out of. I'd give a call and find out which one-and let them know you're expecting an order.

Chickens are rarely seen in my city office, but when they are-we call right away. It's a novelty to us!
tongue.png
My own chicks are going to a different post office than where I work (because I dont' carry where I live, and I don't want them sitting on my 'case' all day) so I will call the carrier supervisor a day or two ahead of delivery and let them know to call me.

Quote:
Oh, how neat!
frow.gif

roll.png

They usually call from the main post office- the one big enough to sort packages in. That's what happened with mine. I had to go into town to pick them up vs. my local branch office that's tiny. Only adds 15 minutes to my trip, but worth it to know they are safe and warm.

Back
Top Bottom