Ideal spacing between deworming and antibiotics? Can they be done simultaneously?

Alright. I'll probably really wash down the sandy/DE/Lime in the run in hopes of washing out the finer particles. I can totally replace the sand in the coop/hen house easily, so I'll do that.
I will also try a good fogging of Oxine just in case it's fungal. I would like to do that either tonight or tomorrow. Or would that interfere with the last dose of today's Tylan or tomorrow's last dose of Valbazen?
As strange as it sounds, it would be helpful to have a chart of all the posibilities of sickness, and all their timed outcomes. If a hen had Gapeworm, she'd be dead within 2 weeks. If it was "whatever else", it would take "whatever time". I might be able to eliminate certain options simply based on the timeframe. But, I guess every situation is completely different.
I can hear them calling for their antibiotics, cleverly disguised as treats :) Boy do they love buttermilk.

You can use the oxine at any time. As a matter of fact you can use it on your birds. Dosage is 1/8 teaspoon per gallon of water. Put it in your mister and spray it over their heads 3 times a day for 10 days straight.

Hey there,
I thought I updated this post, but I didn't. I posted another thread about a preen gland which became the focus for the last couple weeks.
The update is this:
Ended up taking the sickest hen to the vet.(Different one than I spoke to on the phone weeks ago). The hen has no parasites and bronchitis. She said the rales were pretty bad. She also did not approve of Tylan(even though the other vet did).
Not that I have enough experience to know anything at this point, I think that the original hens all had tapeworm, and bronchitis. I think the round of Valbazen and Tylan got them in the best shape possible. I think my removal of the impacted preen gland contents and the continued rales of the one sickest hen were helped out by the last vet's prescription of more antibiotics, even if it was just more precautionary. The hen still sounds terrible, funny enough, and we're done with the antibiotics. She doesn't act sick at all, just sounds like a coffee percolator.
Despite the last vet's recommendations, we did get the replacement hen(the guy we got the original 4 from, wanted to replace the one that died). This new hen does have tapeworms, but immediately got her on Valbazen and dusted for lice/mites.

I also started to ferment their food. Don't know if it does anything, but boy they love it. Also, no more DE for us as long as the percolator hen still shows signs of lung trouble.
Thanks for all the info and the help. I, and They :), really appreciate it.

Yes! That's my rattly girl's sound, like a percolator! I did put DE in their dust bath, maybe I'll swap it out for fresh and not put anything it it. I read to use peat moss? because they like it, but they pretty much like my flower bed. I wonder if the fine dust is making all her trouble. We'll find out. How are you fermenting their food? I put kefir in my mash, it's rich in probiotics and also is fermented, but I don't know about anything else fermented but apple cider vinegar. You are so helpful, thank you.

Back
Top Bottom