Ideas for deterring dog from licking wound?

Willow2253

Crowing
Dec 6, 2019
Eastern Oregon
Yesterday my border collie cut her leg on some ice (chasing the barn cats) and I’m trying to figure out how to get her to stop licking at it. I’ve been treating it and keeping it bandaged to keep her from aggravating it, but she’s a chronic licker (always licking her paws, furniture, the floor, other animals, etc). During the day I can keep an eye on her and stop her, but last night she tore off the bandage while I was asleep and reopened her wound. I’m way out in the country so it’s not very easy to just run to the store or order products online and get them in a reasonable amount of time, so any ideas for home remedies to keep a dog from licking at a wound?

After you bandage up the wound,,, take a few socks, and place over bandaged area. 2 or 3 should stop the action to get to the wound. You may have to get creative, and use some cordage to keep socks from being removed. You may need to place socks on other foot,, and attach them with string over the dogs back.

WISHING YOU BEST,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,, :hugs

I know the problem, our dog always wants to lick everything. What works best here is an elastic bandage something like this: click
That stuff is self-adhesive, but it isn't sticky, I think it's ideal. No guarantee that it will not get it off, but it stays in place much better than the usual bandage. Furthermore, honey ointment also helps with wound healing, then it itches less.

Good luck!

I know the problem, our dog always wants to lick everything. What works best here is an elastic bandage something like this: click
That stuff is self-adhesive, but it isn't sticky, I think it's ideal. No guarantee that it will not get it off, but it stays in place much better than the usual bandage. Furthermore, honey ointment also helps with wound healing, then it itches less.

Good luck!
Thanks! This seems like something that could work. I’ll have to see if we have anything like that in the house already, I’m unable to go to town today.

Unfortunately a cone is not an option. I’m unable to go to town today, it’s over an hour drive away. That, and this dog would be so stressed out if I put her in a cone, it wouldn’t be a good option for her.

I
Unfortunately a cone is not an option. I’m unable to go to town today, it’s over an hour drive away. That, and this dog would be so stressed out if I put her in a cone, it wouldn’t be a good option for her.
If a bandage doesn't work, you can make your own Cloud Collar with a towel. Here's a video-
This one looks affective as well-
And this article has a bunch of different ideas-
https://www.k9ofmine.com/diy-dog-cone/
Hope that helps!

By the way, be careful with all the bandages that you don't put it too tight. Furthermore, indeed put socks around it and tape the ends of the bandage with a piece of tape, then she must first loosen the tape, before she can touch the bandage. A lot of distraction works, for example, chewing on a bone or filling a kong with something tasty, if you have one.

I'm not a fan of those cones because they get a lot of stress (this depends on the dog). The alternative options often don't really work, especially not with an injury to the leg, they can still reach that. But it's always worth a try.

Back
Top Bottom