Ideas for incased feeders?

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by HuestisFarm, Oct 7, 2008.

1. HuestisFarm

HuestisFarm Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 23, 2008
    Fly Creek, NY
    I'd like some ideas for feeders - for those that may have taken that extra step. [​IMG]

I'm hoping to somehow incase my feeders in something that will keep them cleaner & avoid them being knocked over. As well as easy for my chickens to eat from.

I'd rather not use wood for obvious reasons (harboring bacteria), but I'm not sure this is plausible. What material would you suggest?

If anyone has any pics, I'd enjoy seeing them as well.

And yes - I have thought of using a hanging feeder, but I'd like to consider all my options. [​IMG]

Thank you in advance! [​IMG]

2. eeiko321

eeiko321 Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 1, 2008
    why not buy one?
    the local pet store should have plastic ones very cheap..

i bnought mine for 13$ AUD

it does the job...
    check on ebay as well

3. scarter

scarter Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 22, 2008
    Roberts, WI
    I don't have a picture right now but I made one myself (WHOO HOO!) the one that someone suggested on here with the five gallon bucket. You drill four holes in the sides near the bottom of the bucket then screw a flower pot saucer to the bottom to catch and hold the feed. I can get 1/2 bag of feed in this feeder and they peck the holes so the feed comes out. The bucket cost 5 dollars with the lid and the saucer about 4 and the screws were maybe a dollar. If I can do this than anyone can.

4. skyfires

skyfires Trying to hide

Jul 19, 2008
    The Ozarks of Arkansas
    Good one scarter!!! Love the bucket idea!!! I was thinkin of this very thing this morning,,sittin with my hens and watchin them slosh around in the mud!! If we could elevate that feeder on concrete blocks,,,say 4 inches off the ground,,,and build a small wooden type cover that enclosed it on three sides,,,, just might work in all this wet weather we have been having. Any more ideas everyone?? [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

5. cmom

cmom Hilltop Farm

Nov 18, 2007
    Florida
    My Coop
    I have tried different feeders and I personally perfer the galvanized hanging feeders. I have the feeder in the coop. When I introduce the younger birds, I will hang another in their run which is covered. I feed my girls crumbles and no waste. I tried pellets but they didn't seem to eat it as well. I have it hanging on a chain with an S-hook. As they have grown I have raised the feeder to just above their backs and they don't seem to bill it out and can't scratch it out. Here is a picture of a range feeder. [​IMG] [​IMG]

[​IMG]

6. HuestisFarm

HuestisFarm Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 23, 2008
    Fly Creek, NY
    Thanks for some of the ideas, everyone! I guess hanging feeders really are the way to go... since they're adjustable & all. I did like the idea of the box feeder on this site, but I wouldn't go quite so tall. *lol* We'll see... it all depends on what hubby feels like building... as I can barely hang a picture myself! [​IMG]

Last edited: Oct 7, 2008

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by