Ideas for incased feeders?

HuestisFarm

Songster
11 Years
Sep 23, 2008
Fly Creek, NY
I'd like some ideas for feeders - for those that may have taken that extra step.
smile.png

I'm hoping to somehow incase my feeders in something that will keep them cleaner & avoid them being knocked over. As well as easy for my chickens to eat from.

I'd rather not use wood for obvious reasons (harboring bacteria), but I'm not sure this is plausible. What material would you suggest?

If anyone has any pics, I'd enjoy seeing them as well.

And yes - I have thought of using a hanging feeder, but I'd like to consider all my options.
wink.png

Thank you in advance!
cool.png

why not buy one?
the local pet store should have plastic ones very cheap..

i bnought mine for 13$ AUD

it does the job...
check on ebay as well

I don't have a picture right now but I made one myself (WHOO HOO!) the one that someone suggested on here with the five gallon bucket. You drill four holes in the sides near the bottom of the bucket then screw a flower pot saucer to the bottom to catch and hold the feed. I can get 1/2 bag of feed in this feeder and they peck the holes so the feed comes out. The bucket cost 5 dollars with the lid and the saucer about 4 and the screws were maybe a dollar. If I can do this than anyone can.

Good one scarter!!! Love the bucket idea!!! I was thinkin of this very thing this morning,,sittin with my hens and watchin them slosh around in the mud!! If we could elevate that feeder on concrete blocks,,,say 4 inches off the ground,,,and build a small wooden type cover that enclosed it on three sides,,,, just might work in all this wet weather we have been having. Any more ideas everyone??
D.gif
D.gif
frow.gif

I have tried different feeders and I personally perfer the galvanized hanging feeders. I have the feeder in the coop. When I introduce the younger birds, I will hang another in their run which is covered. I feed my girls crumbles and no waste. I tried pellets but they didn't seem to eat it as well. I have it hanging on a chain with an S-hook. As they have grown I have raised the feeder to just above their backs and they don't seem to bill it out and can't scratch it out. Here is a picture of a range feeder.
hu.gif
caf.gif

RSF_150.jpg

Thanks for some of the ideas, everyone! I guess hanging feeders really are the way to go... since they're adjustable & all. I did like the idea of the box feeder on this site, but I wouldn't go quite so tall. *lol* We'll see... it all depends on what hubby feels like building... as I can barely hang a picture myself!
lau.gif

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom