Ideas for keeping chickens out of garden?

6' fence and this SS roo easily jumped right up there. OK, he's a rooster, right? Yeah, but the two hens followed him moments later.
Moral of the story? You might be amazed how high they can fly without clipped wings.

69833_dscf1886.jpg

Here is my garden last year. We put up a 4' high chicken wire fence and it kept them out just fine. If you notice the compost bin to the left of the picture. They used to like to stand on that and lean over and eat the tomatoes, but it apparently never occurred to them that from that point they could quite easily have flown into the garden.

Edit to add the pic:
38935_img_4341.jpg

Last edited:
HEChicken, that setup was just what I was thinking.

That picture of the rooster on the 6' high fence is really funny. How can you watch a chicken and not laugh?

I'm starting raised veggie beds this summer and I'm thinking they'll probably look like the perfect bathtub to the chickens. I'm thinking some kind of border fence around the beds - posts with chicken wire nailed to them all the way around? Are there any other ideas?

Aloha!
I am new to BYC. I signed up because I not only have a flock of chickens and a garden but also a mother and four STRAY chicks. We live in the country and it's not uncommon to see chickens, roosters running around from yard to yard.
I just thought of this and want to present my idea to the group before I do it.
MY IDEA: I have some left over oyster shell what I was giving my chickens when the feed store was out of food that had calcium in it. I was thinking of
spreading this 'around' the plants in my garden. Ya think that would work?!! BTW: My hens DID NOT LIKE the oyster shell when I included it in their food.
In fact, it was left on the ground for a very long time.
Any idea's feedback would be appreciated. Thanks ahead of time.
Liz R

Back
Top Bottom