Ideas for place for bigger chicks?

JayDe

Songster
10 Years
Aug 5, 2009
Lithia, FL
We are facing a bit of a problem with our 9-10 week olds. They are getting too big to fit comfy (and stay clean) in the hutch and everyone's advice was to keep them seperate from the big ladies in the coop (They are 18 weeks) until they are the same size. The babies are 9-11 weeks old. They are in a rabbit hutch, with a bulb on only when it drops below 50 or so...the light keeps it in the 50s. Since we can't put them in the coop with the big girls and they are getting too confined in the hutch, any suggestions? I think we may have some materials to put together something simple. If anyone has pictures of an in between place-for the larger babies- they've made for prior to the coop, please send them our way.
These will be all the chickens we ever have so building a 2nd coop or anything elaborate is out of the question...we can't afford it.

We are also trying to figure out why all their heads are twitching (I posted in diseases, etc if anyone wants to help).

Thanks everyone! I love BYC!

I put mine in a "Puppy Playpen" I have the inside of it wrapped with a bird netting since sometimes they can squeeze through the spaces. We also built a top so the big girl's can not fly up and jump inside.
smile.png

Until I built a separation room in the coop, I used a potato box from the grocery store. I topped it with some 2x4s and old screens. The dimensions of the box were approx. 5'x5', so it was lovely & large.

I put a large wooden crate box inside the coop with the adults and cut another opening and added a temporary run. It's working great so far. They are able to see them but not able to get to them.

You could keep the rabbit hutch as their "coop"--where they sleep at night, and use chicken wire to separate out part of the run for them. Then the older chickens will have a chance to see and get to know them, and soon you can take the divider down and integrate them. Let them choose where they want to sleep at that point. Hutch could be either inside or outside the run.

I don't know if they have these things in the winter, but I once heard someone mention getting one of those big cardboard boxes that hold watermelons and things at grocery stores, to put the chicks in. Would that be big enough?

Those are some great ideas, hopefully I can talk dh into helping me with a project tomorrow before we leave for Christmas. The big wood crate sounds like an excellent Idea. I'm going to look into one for the run.

I thought maybe if I put them in an enclosure inside the coop at night and then when I let the girls out, I just let the chicks into the run, but then the girls can't get back into the coop for water or to escape predators. We have coons, cats, owls, fox, and various raptors just waiting for the chance to get to them so I have to be careful where I keep them.

I forgot to mention that the hutch is currently on the screened in porch where I'd prefer to keep them unless I figure out a good way to put them in the coop safely.

Thanks for the ideas, keep them coming!

I got cheap pieces of plywood, and made an 8' by 30" by 30" high box and covered it in hardware cloth, two flap doors. It is holding 17 6 week olds - didn't hardly cost anything. It's on my porch with two lights.

Back
Top Bottom