Ideas for repurposing pallets

The best way to get them apart is with a sawzall and a 12" metal or bi-metal blade. Cut the nails. It's much much faster than pulling them apart and you won't split the wood.

The best way to get them apart is with a sawzall and a 12" metal or bi-metal blade. Cut the nails. It's much much faster than pulling them apart and you won't split the wood.

THIS! The husband took a sawzall to it! Here are the bones of it...
20140607_133059.jpg

Last edited:
When I'm thinking about using pallets to make my chicken coop, I'm thinkig about ways to use them without breaking them down. I'd like to use them "as is", maybe using them to make up the stud walls and sheathe them with particle board on the inside and T1-11 or shingles on the outside. If I used them so that the internal braces on the pallets all ran vertically, I could pour sawdust into the spaces for insulation before I put the roof on. Haven't really thought this all the way through yet, but definitely considering options.

When I'm thinking about using pallets to make my chicken coop, I'm thinkig about ways to use them without breaking them down. I'd like to use them "as is", maybe using them to make up the stud walls and sheathe them with particle board on the inside and T1-11 or shingles on the outside. If I used them so that the internal braces on the pallets all ran vertically, I could pour sawdust into the spaces for insulation before I put the roof on. Haven't really thought this all the way through yet, but definitely considering options.

Hey, that's a good idea- sawdust for insulation. I was thinking it would be cool if I could make a little "farm store" out of pallets....okay, I woke up last night and couldn't go back to sleep and just thought up a bunch of crazy ideas instead. More. Coffee. :p

If you don't try to get the whole top board, it is far easier to separate. Run a skill saw along both sides as close to the side board as possible. Flip up side down and repeat. Now you have just the middle board with the cross boards attached. Teeter each cross board to loosen the nails a bit. Get 2 pry bars, 1 on each side of the board and pry up both sides equally at the same time. Hammer out, or cut off nails. I find most pallets are sparsely nailed in the centre and machine gun nailed at the sides;)

There are several you tube videos out there. I have tried many of them. A "saw-zaw" works well with a metal blade or demo blade. I also use a crow bar. This works well. You tube the crow bar, as video explains better than words.

I stick with a saw-zaw for destructing pallets. I find that I waste a lot less with that. It just snips off the nail, every time I tried using a prybar or cats claw I was shattering the wood plants and wasting a lot of wood. For cutting pallets in half a chalk line and skill saw are hard to beat.
As far as ideas to build their are hundred of ideas out there on the internet.
I've built backless and backed benches, spice racks, canned good racks, shelving, coop bases, a spice gardens and countless other things out of old pallets. I get pallets free from work and with a few screws, and some stain for certain projects you can build a lot of things for next to nothing price wise.

I stick with a saw-zaw for destructing pallets. I find that I waste a lot less with that. It just snips off the nail, every time I tried using a prybar or cats claw I was shattering the wood plants and wasting a lot of wood. For cutting pallets in half a chalk line and skill saw are hard to beat.
As far as ideas to build their are hundred of ideas out there on the internet.
I've built backless and backed benches, spice racks, canned good racks, shelving, coop bases, a spice gardens and countless other things out of old pallets. I get pallets free from work and with a few screws, and some stain for certain projects you can build a lot of things for next to nothing price wise.

All. Of. This.
We get them from salt pallets in the winter. Its perfectly good wood that they were chucking in the dumpster! I can't wait to do some pallet projects this spring :]

Back
Top Bottom