Ideas on how to make this thing a functioning coop

I thought the roofing boards on the inside ceiling looked pretty good from the one picture of them. The eaves do look like they might need some repair. If you wanted a metal roof for some reason, you might have to strip the shingles, but if it were me, I would just cover over them and replace the facia boards. You'd definitely be safer removing the shingles completely, but it is a chicken coop...

Oh no 😭. I thought they looked better further up. I guess it's worth a look if we took the time and energy to get it here.
Cry now or cry later ;)
I see breakdown all over, here's a few...and who knows what's under all that moss.
1593010060486.png

I thought the roofing boards on the inside ceiling looked pretty good from the one picture of them. The eaves do look like they might need some repair. If you wanted a metal roof for some reason, you might have to strip the shingles, but if it were me, I would just cover over them and replace the facia boards. You'd definitely be safer removing the shingles completely, but it is a chicken coop...
I looked again and it looks like it's just the outer pieces of wood all around the edge of the roof and maybe some of the frame pieces that frame the roof.

Yes, I noticed that....but still those shingles are at the end of their life....and good to get a look at the tops of the roof boards.
True. Might be only good halfway through. We have a bunch of corrugated plastic roofing from another project, maybe I'll just put that on. That way I can also add more of an overhang on the window side.

So.. DH surprised me with the inside done. Not how I sure I would've done it this way but yay for new floor. Trying to think now where I can put the roosting bars. Also, I guess he thought the hens would go up the ramp and walk down the shelf to the preferred nesting boxes? Lol. I still have to shore it up predator wise so this is just to brainstorm about the inside. Also, 4 boxes enough for 11 hens possibly more? Any ideas on tweeking very welcome!

Attachments

• 20200705_141107.jpg
    20200705_141107.jpg
    471.3 KB · Views: 28
  • 20200705_141056.jpg
    20200705_141056.jpg
    529.3 KB · Views: 25
  • 20200705_141046.jpg
    20200705_141046.jpg
    467.5 KB · Views: 25
Also, I guess he thought the hens would go up the ramp and walk down the shelf to the preferred nesting boxes?
First I thought that shelf was a poop board......then I saw the nests.
Roosts should be higher than nests.
Here's some tips about heights:
https://www.backyardchickens.com/articles/coop-stack-up-how-high-stuff-works-well.73427/

Also, 4 boxes enough for 11 hens possibly more?
I have 4 nests, has worked fine for up to 18 layers.

Back
Top Bottom