Ideas to Raise Waterer/Feeder in Brooder

One thing I found that helped a bit is putting a cookie sheet under the feed and water dishes along with raising them as they grow.

Mine got very skilled at scratching all the food out of the baby feeder and losing it in the bedding. The old cookie sheet made it so the feed was not lost even though they flung it out of the feeder.
It also made spilled water easier to clean up since it didn't soak the bedding.

Scraps of wood and bricks are very handy for raising the feeders for sure.

Thanks for all the great ideas! Plan to try them all as they grow and they are growing fast! Hope to put up some pics of Mom and Dad and the babies soon so y'all can help me figure out what I've got.
Think Dad is either a PBR or mixed with Dom because he has a straight comb but Mom has the rosebud so pretty sure she's Dom.

One thing I found that helped a bit is putting a cookie sheet under the feed and water dishes along with raising them as they grow.

Mine got very skilled at scratching all the food out of the baby feeder and losing it in the bedding. The old cookie sheet made it so the feed was not lost even though they flung it out of the feeder.
It also made spilled water easier to clean up since it didn't soak the bedding.

Scraps of wood and bricks are very handy for raising the feeders for sure.
I like that idea. My chicks are getting sand into their feeder. A LOT of sand, and create a huge waste of food. I tried putting it up on blocks, and one of the little trouble makers pushed it off and over, emptying a full feeder everywhere.

I like that idea. My chicks are getting sand into their feeder. A LOT of sand, and create a huge waste of food. I tried putting it up on blocks, and one of the little trouble makers pushed it off and over, emptying a full feeder everywhere.

They certainly can make a mess of their food. As mine grew I put blocks of wood underneath to keep raising it more and more. Do be aware if there's a gap between the blocks of wood one of the little goofballs is bound to try to go under there. A good place to find cookie sheets, broiler pans or other trays with a lip on the edge that you don't mind losing is at the thrift stores.

Back
Top Bottom