Ideas to Raise Waterer/Feeder in Brooder

Dom Mom

Chirping
Apr 27, 2023
Georgia
Hi Everyone!
My batch of six chicks are all doing well although we did have a set back with the gimpy one but, doing great now. They are almost two weeks old and are very active and kicking shavings into the water and feed. No way to hang the waterer and feeder and would love to hear y'all's ideas about how I could raise the waterer and feeder safely in the brooder.

How big is their brooder? The more room they have the less mess they make in the water/feed.

I used blocks of wood to raise the water/feed up slightly when I’ve moved them out to the shed as they got bigger. Just enough to get them out of shavings but so they can still reach.

Thanks for the prompt reply York! They are in a very large garden tub in my master bathroom. They seem to have plenty of room but, some of them are starting to try to fly and I'm concerned that they will knock the water/feeder off the block. Do you attach it somehow?

I didn’t no, I just made sure they were always full so they were reasonably heavy!

They make so much mess with their scratching! My 9 year old hens are still just as bad. They had excavated under their water station the other day causing it to tip to one side and empty. :lol:

Couldn't find any wood blocks but, I did ramble around and found a couple of small square tins that once held Christmas treats. They have a little edge on the bottom so I turned them upside down and the lip is holding the waterer/feeders in place. Fingers crossed they can't knock them over!

Couldn't find any wood blocks but, I did ramble around and found a couple of small square tins that once held Christmas treats. They have a little edge on the bottom so I turned them upside down and the lip is holding the waterer/feeders in place. Fingers crossed they can't knock them over!
:fl

You need to tell them to stop digging!:gig

No chance at their age :lol:

what works good for up to 6 or so chicks is a skinnier coffee mug with the handle in the corner, and you can push a rod through it to pin it in place .. even a small chick at 1 week can reach pretty derned high to eat and drink, youd be surprised ... if you size it right its too skinny to really kick on and wont get too much trash in it .. but yeah, the low trays are phased out by 1 week, its only for fresh hatches so they find it quick ..

I put my feeder and waterer up on pavers and bricks when I can't hang them.

IMG_20230413_110531462.jpg

Back
Top Bottom