Identification needed, please

mldlm

Songster
Apr 3, 2022
Northeast Florida
I need help to identify two black chicks I bought at TSC. They were in with other chicks.

Attachments

• CE86210A-E79D-46D9-9E32-FEB9F722D076.jpeg
    CE86210A-E79D-46D9-9E32-FEB9F722D076.jpeg
    1.2 MB · Views: 6
It can be hard to identify breed on young chicks, because so many of them look alike.

Yours might be Black Sexlinks. They are pretty common, and look like that when young.

Or they might be Black Australorps, or Black Jersey Giants, or Black Copper Marans, or a few other options.

I do not think they are Barred Rocks, because I am not seeing any white bars on those wing feathers. Also, Barred Rocks often have some amount of yellow on the top of their head, which I do not see either.

Wow! You have all been so helpful! I will post new pics in a week and see if that helps. I am almost certain that my two yellow ones are leghorns. I can’t have a rooster where I live, nor do I want one, so I hope the sexing was right and they are all hens.

I'm thinking barred rock. I work at tsc. The sapphires are a premium bird so they wouldn't be mixed up with other breeds. And they have the cute muffy cheeks. Australorps have lots of white as chicks. And I think I can see some of the barred pattern starting on the wing feathers.

Back
Top Bottom