Identified fowl pox

it is not bad very mild and small the dark scabby areas are small and dispersed. no clumping together or anything i saw on google that was anywhere close to bad

There's several reasons why your birds have fowl pox even though they were vaccinated:
The vaccination was improperly given, didnt take, or wernt given the vaccination.
It might not be fowl pox. It could be canary pox, turkey pox, or pigeon pox in which the fowl pox vaccine is ineffective. Chickens are susceptable to other types of avian pox.
Eggs are safe to eat with or without the vaccine. It is not transmittable to humans as Eggcessive stated.

the stuff on the beak is just dirt. pretty sure its pox but im sure you guys will know by the photo. all four seem to be fine. came running up and ate some bread and scratch. i started antibiotics in the water last night. thanks for all the info and advice

Yep it looks pretty typical like pox. I hope they get along fine. the bottom picture shows a lesion a bit close to the eye, so I would put some plain Neosporin or Terramycin ointment in there twice a day.

Yep it looks pretty typical like pox. I hope they get along fine. the bottom picture shows a lesion a bit close to the eye, so I would put some plain Neosporin or Terramycin ointment in there twice a day.
Do you know about how long its take the dry version of fowl pox to run its course? My girl started with white cone-like looking bumps. Then they feel or were scratched off and she has black spots where they were. Nothing is wet or infected looking and she is eating, drinking and acting fine. It just seems like one or 2 keep coming back since late august maybe?

I think most sources say about 3 to 5 weeks is normal, but mosquitoes may stay in the area longer. Here is part of the link in post #3:

Transmission
The virus contained in the scabs contaminates the environment and remains infective for many months. Mechanical transmission is considered the primary method for dissemination of the virus, and infection can occur through injured or lacerated skin. Mechanical vectors such as insects, can easily carry pox virus and may deposit the virus on susceptible birds. Flys may walk on the eyes of birds, leaving virus behind, and mosquito bites can result in rapid spread of pox throughout the farm. Airborne transmission is also suspected in many cases of wet pox.

The mucous membranes of both the trachea and mouth appear to be highly susceptible to the virus. The infection may occur in the absence of apparent trauma or injury. In a contaminated house, the infection can spread easily bird to bird, cage to cage, and by the standing water in drinking cups.

Here is a good link on the disease: http://www.merckmanuals.com/vet/poultry/fowlpox/fowlpox_in_chickens_and_turkeys.html

Quote:
My birds had fowl pox and it took about a month and a half for it to run its course. It might take longer if you have a large flock. You can put iodine on the nodules/scabs to dry them quicker, avoid the eyes and nostrils when using iodine. Black shoe polish works as well.
Birds will scratch themselves or peck the scabs on the other birds combs/wattles causing bleeding...that's probably what you're observing. Black shoe polish will cover the scabs/nodules and prevent pecking. Scratching is due to the irritation the nodules/scabs cause. Try to eliminate standing water on your property where mosquitos breed.

I think most sources say about 3 to 5 weeks is normal, but mosquitoes may stay in the area longer. Here is part of the link in post #3:

Transmission
The virus contained in the scabs contaminates the environment and remains infective for many months. Mechanical transmission is considered the primary method for dissemination of the virus, and infection can occur through injured or lacerated skin. Mechanical vectors such as insects, can easily carry pox virus and may deposit the virus on susceptible birds. Flys may walk on the eyes of birds, leaving virus behind, and mosquito bites can result in rapid spread of pox throughout the farm. Airborne transmission is also suspected in many cases of wet pox.

The mucous membranes of both the trachea and mouth appear to be highly susceptible to the virus. The infection may occur in the absence of apparent trauma or injury. In a contaminated house, the infection can spread easily bird to bird, cage to cage, and by the standing water in drinking cups.

Here is a good link on the disease: http://www.merckmanuals.com/vet/poultry/fowlpox/fowlpox_in_chickens_and_turkeys.html

Transmission

My birds had fowl pox and it took about a month and a half for it to run its course. It might take longer if you have a large flock. You can put iodine on the nodules/scabs to dry them quicker, avoid the eyes and nostrils when using iodine. Black shoe polish works as well.
Birds will scratch themselves or peck the scabs on the other birds combs/wattles causing bleeding...that's probably what you're observing. Black shoe polish will cover the scabs/nodules and prevent pecking. Scratching is due to the irritation the nodules/scabs cause. Try to eliminate standing water on your property where mosquitos breed.
Will do! Thank you so much for the help! Thank goodness it doesn't really seem to be affecting their health! Just taking a while to clear up
hmm.png

Back
Top Bottom