Identify Hens???

asorensen

In the Brooder
8 Years
Feb 9, 2011
Milton, Florida
I was given these two hens and the lady said that the black & white one is a cuckoo Maran and the Black one is a Black Maran. I have looked at pictures and I am not sure. I would appreciate any input. Oh, one of them does lay pretty dark eggs and I am going to seperate them tomorrow and see who it is. I think it is the black and white one but then what the heck is the black hen if that is the case? Thanks
79527_057.jpg

79527_058.jpg

Last edited:
The hen on the far left could indeed be a Cuckoo Marans. She looks like the hen I had, very long ago.

The "black" one isn't black at all. See the "ghost barring"? Not sure about her... she's probably a mix, or could be a very messed up/low quality cuckoo.

And that's a super cute EE hen there in the corner
lol.png

Quote:
Ok I have a correction to make I just realized the black chicken is not a hen, it has spurs so does that make a difference in what it might be? OOOPS! LOL

Quote:
Well if it is a hen, which I thought in the beginning the eggs I thought were hers are a dark brown, not as dark as the black & white one (I was told she is a Cuckoo Maran from the people I got her from) but the same people said they thought the black one was a Black Maran... The black & white one lays fairly dark eggs with a few darker speckles on it and the black one lays eggs that have no spots but are almost as dark as the other.

Back
Top Bottom