Identify This Snake!! [pics]

Garters don't have venom...but some people are allergic to their saliva, and so have a reaction that can make it seem like they are mildly venemous. I've been bitten quite a few times and have never had an abnormal amount of swelling or pain.

There are only 4 types of poisonous snakes in North America,

1. Rattlesnakes

2. Cotton Mouth water moccasin

3. Copperheads

4. Coral snakes

First three are pit vipers.
Corals grab and chew.

There are no other types of indigenous poisonous snakes in North America.

Folk, as has been said many times....it IS a garter snake! Four feet is about the maximum size, not 5 feet.

It was under the pool because it was cool, moist and it attracted its favorite foods...crickets, earthworms, frogs, and SLUGS! They will eat small fish and are really good swimmers.

There are many different species of garter snakes and they are quite variable even within the species. Eastern garter snakes are everything from dusky brown to red sides to bright turquoise blue. In the Fort Lauderdale area is a population of brilliant blue eastern garters. I have collected quite a few. I wish I had photos of them.

The long thin members of Thamnophis with the stripes are the ribbon snakes, Not garter snakes.

If you garden, leave the garter alone. It offers no danger to your chicken eggs (too big) and it will hunt pest that eat your plants. Anything that will eat slugs is welcome at my house.

Hognosed snakes are only mildly toxic to small frogs. They are not dangerous to humans. The only way to get mildly envenomated by a Hognose is to rub your finger on a small frog and stick your finger down the snakes throat.

Technically mildly toxic, but then again so is a daddy long legs.

As far as danger to humans on a scale of 1 to 10, I would give it a......................................................................0.

I wouldn't want someone on here to get the idea that Hognosed snakes should be killed because someone said they are poisonous.

The long thin members of Thamnophis with the stripes are the ribbon snakes, Not garter snakes.

In upstate NY and (western Ma, where I grew up as a child). These snakes with the stripes were garter snakes. Not ribbons...

but which are close in discription.

The eastern gater snake has less brilliant stripes, and its two side stripes are found on the second and third scale rows than on the third and fourth. It also has black spots on it's belly.

Got this info from a book we have at home. A Country-Lover's Guide to Wildlife by K. Chambers
It also said that the ribbon snake moves swiftly, a lot faster than a garter snake, so i'm wondering if you could get a pic of it...

Now, I think you need to go out there and count those stripes....
lau.gif

Melinda​

ribbons and garters are very similar in appearance and one often has to get quite close to be able to difinitively tell tell the difference. Ribbons are smaller, more slender, and have a spot in front of the eye that garters don't have. I have ribbon as a pet
smile.png

Back
Top Bottom