Identity Crisis!?!?!?! Any help would be appreciated!

N I do not have any pics of her as a chick but I can tell you that as a chick she had the nickname tigger because she was cream and black striped. Does that help?!?!

ok, I'll jump in again.
I know nothing of cornish and that isn't the greatest pic of a comb ive ever seen but, looks like a pea comb to me.
While im here, I just posted pics of my 2 chicks last night... of their combs, Wyandott has the rose comb and the EE has a pea See them compared here. That link goes to their 9 week old comb shots, there are a couple earlier ones in the thread as well.

Oh, there are also 17 week old rose combs and 17 week old single combs on that page too.

Let me add, no offence on the comb shot, its very hard to get good shots of combs, the way the light hits them on a flash, you have to be at just the right angle to see them clearly.

Last edited:
Dark cornish chicks
DkCornChik.JPEG

Golden laced wyandotte chick
GLWyandChik.JPEG

OK it all end here!!! She is a.....dark cornish! After seeing the pictures of the chicks I can tell you for sure! So does that mean she is a meat chicken? I thought cornish were meat chickens? Like I have said before I am new to the chicken thing and I REALLY appreciate all the info you great people give me! If she is a meat chicken should I expect ashorter life from her? That will make me so sad!

Like I said, i don't know anything about cornish but I copied this from mypetchicken... all I have to offer,

Added, it seems other hatcheries do not list them as, specificly meat birds, some do some don't but as was stated earlier, it looks as though the cornish crosses are more meat birds then these really are.
Class: English
Type: Standard & Bantam
Size: Very Heavy (8+ lbs)
Rarity: Common
Purpose: Meat
Recognized Varieties: Dark, White, White Laced Red

Egg Laying: Poor (1/wk)
Egg Color: Light Brown
Egg Size: Small

Comb Type: Pea Comb
Crested: No
Feathered Feet: No
Number of Toes: 4

Hardy In Winter: Yes
Bears Confinement: Bears confinement well
Especially Docile: No
Setter/Broody: Yes
Personality: Loud and active

Last edited:
Nuggetsowner:) :

OK it all end here!!! She is a.....dark cornish! After seeing the pictures of the chicks I can tell you for sure! So does that mean she is a meat chicken? I thought cornish were meat chickens? Like I have said before I am new to the chicken thing and I REALLY appreciate all the info you great people give me! If she is a meat chicken should I expect ashorter life from her? That will make me so sad!

Thank the Lord someone finally listened!! All birds can be meat chickens. She is a Pure Cornish, not a Cornish Cross. A Cornish Cross is a mix between a White Cornish and a White Rock I believe. They are specifically bred to eat a ton and be butchered at a young age. Cornish are a totally different breed. You have a Cornish, not a Cornish Cross. It seems like Cornish/Cornish Crosses are a big confusing matter for a lot of people. Just like the EE/Ameraucana/Araucana thing. As long as people remember it, then its fine.
wink.png

I've read the reason Cornish are bad layers is because they are ALWAYS broody. As for Cornish X's, even they dont have to die early! Mine was almost a year old and he just passed away.
big_smile.png

I am just feeling rather frustrated!

AAAUGH!!
You seeI ordered 10 "laying hens" that were part of a packaged deal from McMurray. I understand that I was taking my chances when I order them this way. BUT They were all supposed to be hens and they were all supposed to be good brown egg layers. Well out of the 10 I have 9 left the one I lost was a Silver Spangled Hamburg Hen. The rest are Nugget a ROOSTER! Three Pearl White Leghorns -that if I am not mistaken lay white eggs, Now I find out that my darling Missy is a dark cornish who is not a good layer but will lay brown eggs, and then I have my Dottie, she is a Silver Spangled Hamburg Hen. I have no idea what she will lay. I also have my three unidentified hens Little Red and the two Black with green sheen and black legs I will post pics tomorrow. Now I don't mean to gripe and I know that I am just learning and did not expect to get blindsided like this but.... was this a major mix up or is this something common that you expect one thing and end up with something totally different!!! PLEASE don't get me wrong I love all these chickens and I have no intentions of getting rid of any of them but I do feel in some way that I was duped!

Also, if you order 10, they have a 90% chance of being hens so yould expect 1 out of 10 to be a roo... on average.

one more thing, is it possible that the white ones are White Rocks or more likely a white jersey giant and your black ones could be black jersy's and possibly a black star?

White jersey from feathersite.com
WJGPul.JPEG

Added: I looked it up, here is the list of possible chickens they should have sent you.
This is taken from their brown egg asst.
Note the ones in bold:

Black Australorps;
Lt. Brahmas;
Dark Cornish;
Black and White Giants;
Buff and White Orpingtons;
New Hampshire,
Rhode Island Reds,
Barred, White, Partridge, Buff Rocks;
Deleware,
Sussex,
Turkens;
White, Silver Laced, & Columbian Wyandottes,
" Red Star and Black Star.

So maybe you still got what you wanted.
With that list, maybe people can match your breeds easier.

GL

Added, but that doesnt account for the hamburgs, so I dont know.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom