If a hen eating her own eggs is bad ...

sheetmetalpete

In the Brooder
9 Years
Aug 23, 2010
Central Minnesota
What about your dog eating your chicken eggs?
rant.gif

I left the morning collection of eggs in a carton near the door yesterday. I found the dog munching on something as the day went on. By the time I got to her, all I could see was egg shell in her mouth. Naturally the egg she stole was the really large double yolker I was eyeing up for breakfast.

Just like some hens, I guess she acquired a taste for it. Today while I was in the other room she grabbed a closed carton with 7 eggs in. She had one down and was working on a second before I realized what she was doing. In the process of opening the carton she cracked a couple more.

We had a discussion about it. Being a Lab, she was really sorry but somehow I don't believe it will be the end of it all.

The bright side is that her coat is extra shiny.
gig.gif

Here's Lucy, the egg eating Labrador:

66138_lucy.jpg

If the hens lay in the yard, I hafta get them before my Lab mix does
Fortunately, he doesn't go into the coop much (afraid of the rooster I think) maybe he just hasn't learned that there is an egg jackpot in there that might make it worth taking chances with the roo

One of the reasons we have chickens is to feed our dog!! She gets at least one egg in every meal. Most brands of kibble are kin of gross, who would want to eat dry kibble plain for every meal, Yuck!!
Dogs need fresh healthy protein, too.

Any egg eaten dog is as much a predator as an egg eaten skunk. And should be treated as such. An egg given to a dog as a treat is one thing. But for it to help itself to the eggs is something else again. When I leave the house in the morning to go to work, I can leave a steak on the table to defrost and it will be there when I get home. If it is not, I find myself a new dog. It takes a few weeks to train them that way and in doing so you lose a steak or two. Would you have a coon or fox guard the chicken coop?

Quote:
Well good for you. I can leave stuff on the kitchen table too. The difference is that it's fairly easy to establish to the dogs that the table stuff is MINE.
Random eggs found out in the yard are free game if nobody claims them first. It's not like they are stealing them from my egg basket or anything that I have established as mine.
I keep eggs out on the kitchen counter and they don't steal them. The person who's dog WAS stealing them off the table DOES need to do some serious training though.

My solution for skunks and possums is to fence them out, and it works on dogs too
wink.png

Back
Top Bottom