If a person cannot spell, would you still sell birds to them??

Status
Not open for further replies.
let me help you out here......if you get a bad vib from the person who cant spell or cant type....or both.....dont give him the rooster....stop judging....
and just cull him....you worry about if someone may make a meal out of him and feed his family but you are willing to kill him yourself....if its a good home your
looking for.....lower your price and keep looking till you feel comfortable who your selling too....go with your gut.....it is usually best!...good luck!

I just saw this thread....My husband is a terrible speller......He's smart as a whip though. I'd give him a rooster any day.

They say, don't judge a book by it's cover, but I know that's easier said than done.

Here's the thing......when you sell on CL, no matter who it is, once the bird leaves your property, you have no control over it's destiny.

I sell it, and then forget it.......I know that sounds harsh, but, what else can you do?

Quote:
uhhh... but this could happen with someone who is articulate and spells to your liking also. so because he spells shorthand (or does it because he cant spell at all) hes a flake who keeps birds in boxes and fights them? seriously this is CL, anyone could be that bad. If youre not willing to meet with these people and see a setup youre basically making a shot in the dark no matter how they spell. this is kind of rediculous

I'm just more comfortable selling to someone who is more professional.

I think that is the crux of it, and I am right in agreement with you! If he's not willing to try to present his case articulately and with dignity, rather than his casual attempt to use as little effort as is possible, his 'first impression' moment has been handled poorly and he has given you a gut impression that is negative. Go with that- many things are said in the way he handled his request, and I think you have your answer.

Good instincts may not always be identifiable right away- you may think it was about spelling initially, but there's more between the lines...er...lack thereof. Now you can see it was about presentation.

Why is it that those on here that agree that spelling is not important have misspelled words in their posts? I find that humorous
gig.gif

Honestly, to a lot of people there are more important things to worry about, that's why.

To grammar Nazis, spelling is the whole universe. Try to understand that while it's important to some, some people aren't going to lose sleep over spelling something wrong on a chicken forum. Does it make them bad people? No it just makes them bad spellers. That's probably why they're defending bad spelling. Doesn't mean they "aren't intelligent enough to use spellcheck". There is absolutely no need to make personal jabs because you're a great speller and we aren't.

Last edited:
I tend to agree, nothing is worth worrying over really. I lose no sleep over some one's spelling but I will say image speaks and spelling correctly portrays an image not always positive. To me personally it is about pride in your handy work, if something is done haphazardly it usually bleeds over into other areas of life. I use spellcheck as a tool to better my spelling.
Quote:

Last edited:
I haven't read this all the way through - but spelling ability has nothing to do with intelligence.

One of my closest friends is a software engineer who makes about $250k/year. She cannot spell worth a hill of beans. Or, as she would write, "beens". Her brain isn't wired that way. Her IQ is phenomenal, her intellect beyond impressive, and she went to an Ivy League school - graduating with honors.

She also takes better care of her animals than 99% of parents take care of the adored children.

The other stuff about the guy might be shady, I don't know - but spelling would not be a primary concern for me. Especially as it appears he can read!

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom