If a person cannot spell, would you still sell birds to them??

Status
Not open for further replies.
Tanicha, I cannot even begin to tell you how much I struggle with this same thing!!! Even before starting to keep an eye out for chickens here in SC, my sister and I have been having this same ongoing discussion about the "legitimacy of a transaction on CL" regarding her purchasing a car. It is a difficult decision and definitely a judgement call. We decided that it's a case by case basis. Me personally, I would never purchase a bird or car from someone on CL who cannot or does not take the 2 minutes to type out full words in their proper usage. I do not at all question your hesitation when dealing from the opposite side.

That said, having a request for a free rooster to use as a gift would put a wrench in my gut, and I listen to my gut. No, NO, NO!!!
smack.gif

As a disclaimer, I am biased because I live in South Carolina where people will give you a laying hen for free but charge you $20 for a rooster, and are far more interested in gamecocks for the fighting that is still going on in backwoods arenas (it was only legally banned 5 years ago). I have spent some time trolling CL for chickens and it is not an educated community here. Selling a bird as uncommon as yours (it ain't no dominecker), I would certainly be in the same boat.

Edited for grammar and missing words...
th.gif

Quote:
"kinda"?
kinda like "kind of"?

Tag! You're it!
tongue.png

Kinda is a word. Like kinda. Because it's "kind of" in an Arizona accent.
tongue.png

Last edited:
I have seen several posts that suggest you meet with this person. Do not, under any circumstances, let him know where you live, or meet him anywhere else alone. Please.

If you feel uncomfortable dealing with someone, then dont. A lot of troubles can be avoided by listening to that internal warning system that we all have inside us.

Last edited:
My grandfather couldn't spell, could barely write his name to sign the back of his paycheck, but he wasn't dumb by any means! He knew how to support his family. He knew farming the land. He knew animals. If he were still alive to day? He could teach many of us a thing or two despite his lack of formal education.

Sorry, but you can't really make that judgment from this. My brother is severely dyslexic and consequently finds "textlish" much easier to write.

Quote:
This is NOT dyslexia: "If ur goin to kill um I would like it if u could hand um off if possible im lil short on cash"

Quote:
This is NOT dyslexia: "If ur goin to kill um I would like it if u could hand um off if possible im lil short on cash"

Again, I agree. My middle son is dyslexic and these people often spell the words the way they sound to them and not as they should be according to Webster's. I think this person does seem to be texting but, as Spiritdance mentions, text speak is somewhat like some dyslexics spell. My son isn't this bad but he never misspells the same word twice in the exact same way.

He maintained a 3.5 GPA all through high school and was taking advanced classes such as Calculus, College Prep English and Science classes. Spelling is not always a sign of intelligence just as misspelling isn't always a sign of being unintelligent.

I'm not sure what spelling has to do with intelligence. I grew up around newspapers. There's a reason they have editors. I can spell to a faretheewell, but I'm a lousy typist. I'll have edited my post closely before pushing the button.

Quote:
I would have to agree with this post. Heck, if you won't sell to people who can't spell, that would eliminate half the people on THIS forum!
roll.png

Agree with both the above posters.

Tanichca -
I think the real issue is that you want to make sure that your rooster receives the same kind of care in his next home that he gets at yours, and frankly that's going to be really hard for you to control. You obviously care for your birds very well, but many people who scan CL looking for roosters are indeed looking for dinner, and anyone wanting a bird for free (to give to someone else no less) does not have that bird's best interests in his heart. Regardless of whether or not he's the most literate, he's not the guy you want to send your rooster with. You really would be better off trying to contact someone through BYC who's on the same page as you regarding how to care for a rooster, or maybe figure out a way to get him a new hen so you could keep him - that way you'd know for sure that he's being cared for in a way you feel is proper. Best wishes!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom