If a young rooster is tasty we will share the recipe.

Jan 6, 2018
Had 10 this morning, only 9 now. Two white ones, one redish one, 7 Jersey Giants (but 2 of them turned out to be roosters so one went into the pot today). They are all about 7 months old and we are finding out some interesting things: the white ones (Lucy and Lucy since we can't tell them apart) are definitely smarter and more inquisitive than the rest however the redish one (Maribel) is pretty savvy too. The Jerseys have to be some of Gods dumbest creatures ever to have walked the Earth. That is actually good since it makes it very difficult to get attached to them (yes once they stop laying eggs it's into the pot they go).
We are raising them because I told my husband that we were going to. That was that. Now he eats 4 eggs a day and loves the flavor and that they are organic! Aside from all that it is actually fun to watch them do their chicken thing. A word of caution - DO NOT EVER LET THEM INTO YOUR GARDEN! Geeze they can tear it up faster than a backhoe!

Welcome. Have fun.

Commiserations on the garden problem. Our chickens like to feast on peas, cucumbers, squash, melons, pumpkins, tomatoes, corn (they'll actually rip the husk off and eat about half of it before proceeding to the next cob)...Sometimes, they even go for the cabbage. Forget about strawberries.

Your white hens might be Leghorns and the reddish one's probably a Production Red, if you're interested in knowing. Leghorns are clever and flighty, and Production Reds are some of the smartest birds I've owned.

Hello and welcome to BYC!! It’s so nice to have you join us. welcome.gif

This video may help with learning how to navigate the new site.

If you have any questions, please don’t hesitate to ask one of us. :)

Back
Top Bottom