If buff Orps are quiet and docile...does that mean BO roosters too?

JenMT

Songster
11 Years
Jan 21, 2009
Kalispell, Montana
idunno.gif
idunno.gif
idunno.gif
idunno.gif
idunno.gif
idunno.gif
idunno.gif
idunno.gif
I love my BO pullets now 10 weeks old so I got some straight run BO 2 weeks ago. I am hoping for a good rooster. If the breed is overall calm, friendly and quiet does that mean the BO roosters are too? Are BO roosters quieter than other roos in general too?

I have heard they are a docile breed all around, even the roos. I don't have any personal knowledge but my friend has one she got as an adult and he is a big..."chicken", no pun intended!
big_smile.png
I think they are supposed to be very good-natured, but I know there are folks on here that raise them and can tell you more.
What I do know is that they are very pretty. Wish I could get hold of some hatching eggs from the ones they have in Great Britain. I like their body type better than our American birds - it's more cobby and low to the ground with an abundance of feathers. Maybe one day someone can import some - if so let me know!
smile.png

Last edited:
My BO roo is a big strapping lad. He's very protective of his women and will quickly attack if he thinks they are in trouble. He's mostly scared of me and leaves me alone, but he does give me suspicious glances when I'm moving around in his world. He's worse about it when everyone is out ranging. He has attacked me twice now and has gone at a number of people he didn't know. (I figure they're fair game though. He's just doing his job.) Both times with me I had startled his girls and they had gone squawking off. I assume he thought they were in trouble.
He's a lot easier than the banty roo I have. For the most part he is no trouble at all and he does a great job of taking care of his women.

His crow isn't any quieter than my banty's crow. The BO's tone is deeper, but he is just as likely to crow.

edited to say that I like gritstar's phrasing better. He's not so much afraid of me as respectful of me.

Last edited:
My Buff Orp roo is exactly like CityGirl's roo. He has a lower pitch, but not quieter than my RIR or Barred Rock roo.

And he is very protective. Especially when free ranging. Mine also attacked several people, including those who have been providing feeding and care. He went after me twice. We always pick him up and hold him when he gets like that and it usually straightens him out for a while.

A gentleman with the ladies, too.

18652_dscn9511.jpg

18652_dscn9513.jpg

Wow! He is totally amazing and beautiful. I am now having second thoughts about having a rooster around though, not sure I am prepared for all that yet. Thank You......everyone!

i have the sweetest BO, i wish you could meet him. I found him again in the hens box.... laying with her while she laid an egg. He likes to make a calming low pitch purr. Its soooo sweet. He herds all the girls back in when it starts getting dark. I love him he's sweet.

Jen, if you bring your roo up from a baby, it will come to you in small steps as he grows. I bought mine full grown and had to learn quick about adult roos. I wouldn't have chickens without a roo now. They are too valuable to the flock and so entertaining!

CityGirl, Vixen is beautiful! She looks alot like the hawk that circle my coop!

Back
Top Bottom