If cocci is nearly always present in the soil...

sheeshshe

Songster
10 Years
May 6, 2009
my chicks have been exposed to it for some time. But the chicks that I purchased that had an infection of it which are going to be done treatment today had it in their poo. It is recommended that I keep them separate for 30 days after the infection is cleared. But, if the others are exposed to it daily, what difference does it make if they are with the ones that might still have it in their droppings? It is already in the soil right? Wouldn't it not matter whether or not they are with the chicks? Or am I not understanding something? Please explain so I can understand this bit :) thank you!

A shot in the dark here but I'd think of it as I'm exposed to bacteria every day but when exposed to a large dose of one type I get sick (someone drinks out of my coffee cup that has a cold and I get a cold). The quantity of cocci in your soil is small but that coming from the butts of chicks infected is high.

Cocci is caused by a protozoan, not a bacteria, which is present in the soil. Not every soil has every type of oocyst. There are 9 official types and other mutated and more virulent types that can be present in the gut at hatch, passed down from the parent stock, though that's not widely known-I sure didn't know it a couple of years ago.

I'm not sure why I'd keep anyone separate-eventually, they'll be together anyway, but it's fine either way, I'd say. I'd treat with a good stretch of Corid, no more than 7 days, when they are put together, no matter how long they are kept separated, just in case, and watch for symptoms.

Last edited:
Do you mean, treat the non cocci chicks for 7 days or the cocci ones? the ones that had/have the cocci are on day 6 of the corid.

You'd think after they've been treated anyways that the protozoa would be wiped out anyways and cause no risk to the others...?

Back
Top Bottom