If given the choice, at what age should I get my chicks?

LAG, I'd bet they're marans eggs
smile.png

If you put your location into your profile, that can help sometimes too, since then we know where you are. Must be somewhere warm if 70 deg days is normal in May! That's our summer averages. I brooded my babies outside and took away their light at 6 weeks when it was 30's at night and 40's in the day.

There are tons of ways to do it so jump in and try! I'd go for chicks if you want birds to cuddle. Watching them grow is so fun!

silkiechicken - my babies are 6.5 weeks old right now and have been out in the coop with lamps since 2 weeks old. They don't really seem to need the lamps at all anymore, but by the standard recommendations, they should still have about 60-65 degrees right now, right? I've been wanting to take out the lamps, though... sounds like it worked for you... any thoughts for me?

Central Ohio. Gotta go work my profile out, I was so worried about getting my questions out that I hadn't bothered yet
big_smile.png

Of course, our weather the last few years has gone straight from 30 to 80 :p Not fun. And usually with a random freeze thrown in there near the end of May for kicks.

lisahaschickens: If they've been outside already for so long and have been in and out of their brooder and used to our lovely wet weather, if their coop is snuggly, they should be just fine without the light. The brooder coop I was using has just a 2 foot ceiling since it's more tractor style so with a dozen chicks in there, they kept it pretty warm on their own.

Just make sure they are not piling in corners. You may take a few days to wean them off the light because they may be scared of the dark still. If you can teach them to roost, get them up on the bar and turn the lights out. Check on them in like 30 minutes and repeat till they are all up and staying on the roost.

Just keep an eye on them and if they look too cold, a week more won't hurt, but if they were like mine, running around outside at 4 weeks in our 40F days in mid April, and only going in to eat and heat up a bit, taking it out would be fine. It is still March, so I'd just start by turning them off and leaving them hooked up just in case we get more freak snow and the birds aren't quite ready.

Uzuri: I can't imagine a 50 degree day night change! I think I'd die! I like the big heat sink of an ocean and sound. :p

It doesn't do it often, but geeze when it does. And usually there's a really exciting thunderstorm involved, too.

Gotta love spring in the Midwest.

Uzuri...I'll be getting my first chicks in another week and I'm so excited. I've spent lots of time here learning about what I'm getting into and its helped immensely. Spendt some time reading up on all of the different posts, read Chickens 101 and all the stuff at the learning center and you will feel much more confident! (PS...get them as babies so you have a chance to bond with them. Its more difficult as they get older.)

Last edited:
Quote:
Some words about chickens and gardens. Not only will they control the bugs but also eat and scratch up whatever is planted in your garden. Good luck.

When I talked to DH about getting Chickens, he wanted full grown chickens and I wanted day olds. I have read and read and read posts on this site to feel comfortable raising them as babies and wanted to have that experience for our family and grandkids! Mine won't arrive until then last part of April so I can't give you any words of advise but personally, I think you're cutting yourself short by not raising them yourself!!

Back
Top Bottom