If given the choice....

gallopingfrog

Songster
8 Years
Oct 31, 2011
Arizona
Would you use Barred Rocks for meat birds? I've heard that they have some sort of jelly layer on top of the skin (or something to that effect) that makes them hard to process.

Or would you only use "meat bird" breeds (like Freedom Rangers, CornishX, etc.)?

Or would you use a different breed entirely?

Yep, still in research mode.
caf.gif

If I'm raising them strictly for meat, I go with Cornish X. I've heard plenty of great things about the freedom rangers too, just never raised any. Few raise barred rocks for meat as far as I know, but many raise rocks for dual purpose, meat and eggs.

We dont have "usual meat birds" (ex. cornish, etc) We have had mostly Easter Eggers. We have never had a "Jelly like layer" on any of them.
We are processing a Barred Rock this weekend. I think the main reason why people use Cornish and "meat bird" breeds is because you can process them sooner then other breeds.

I've never noticed any difference in processing a barred rock than any other dual purpose bird.. have a young roo to process later this week..

over the years we have processed a lot of quail, dual purpose birds of various breeds, cross breeds as well as bantams and silkies and to date I've never seen any "jelly layer on top of the skin" on any bird I have ever processed

Actually, I would use White Rocks for meat birds. Also, Delawares.
I would use Barred Rocks for egg layers. I like Australorps.

Cornish Cross are great but are unsustainable. Meaning, you have to go back and buy more.
Dual purpose are sustainable.

Just my $0.02

See this is why I do research here! Have you guys ever had a project and you get advice from EVERYONE! And its all the wrong advice! Lol I think I'm going to do freedom rangers to start....just for the experience. But then I think I might try to do white rocks.... or maybe just more barred rocks.... I don't know. *sigh* Any insight? I know I'm probably overthinking it...again!

I would use a Barred Rock as a meat bird IF it was not from hatchery stock.
wink.png

Heritage/Show line Rocks, doesn't matter the color, barred white buff whatever - Are naturally very bulky, large birds. They grow slow, yes, but are excellent meat birds. In fact Rocks were one of the leading breeds for meat before Cornish X came along.

However, MOST Barred Rocks out there are hatchery stock. Nothing wrong with that, except hatchery stock means they're bred solely for egg production, thus, the birds aren't as big or meaty. They're average size, dress out to be skinny and small, and are just good as pets.

Believe it or not, show birds (and I'm not talking about your local Fair, I'm talking APA sanction big shows) are actually the best for meat purposes.

I would say either Freedom Rangers or non-hatchery DP like Barred Rock.. I am going to be breeding some slow growing broilers similar to freedom rangers and if that doesn't work I will be using this giant breeder quality Barred Rock Roo on some hatchery BR Hens to see what I get.. I am an over-thinker too, but have realized "what do I have to lose"?? I have got to try and compare and see what works for me, and everybody's circumstances are different.. I am raising CX right now, but these big guys are way to messy and high maintnance for me.. I had to at least try them for myself though and not just listen to what everybody else had to say about them...

Last edited:
Quote:
I was considering going the sustainable dual purpose flock, but was also considering giving the cornish x a try as well... Why do you say they are to messy? (actual curiosity here, not sarcasm, I value input from all sides)

We have a BR flock, and the 5 we processed were delicious! No 'jelly' layer on our birds.

I've heard Cornish crosses are messy because they eat a tremendous amount of feed, so they produce a tremendous amount of Poop, but I'm sure someone else here can give you their real life experience.

Back
Top Bottom