If i give my chicken a fertile egg will she raise the baby?

chickenowner42

Hatching
7 Years
Dec 26, 2012
One of my barred rock chickens was attacked a couple months ago so we separated her since she was badly hurt. well now shes better but when I tried putting her back into the coop the others went to attach her again so I have separated her again and I don't want to get rid of her, but now she is lonely and every time I go to take her eggs away so goes crazy like she wants to lay on it and hatch a baby so if I get a barred rock egg and put it in her coop will she sit on it and raise the baby? or will she not sit on it because shes not used to it

When you go to collect the eggs does she look really flat when she's sitting on them? If she is then yes, she is trying to hatch them. If she shows signs of broodiness then sure, give her some fertile eggs to sit on. The eggs can be all different breeds too and not the same as her.

Was she attacked by the rest of the flock? If so was it one or 2 of them or the whole flock? If you have a bully in the flock it may help if you replace your hen with the rest of the flock and remove the bully for a week. This will shuffle their pecking order a bit and the bully will be lower down when reintroduced.
If you let her hatch chicks are you going to keep her and the chicks separate in their own coop? Sorry, I'm just being practical. If they're not accepting her back now it's not going to change when she's got chicks. Though it may work if you introduce her and the chicks once they are old enough to handle being bullied bit (4 months is good) and if you keep them separate, but within sight of the rest of the flock, so they can see the chicks and know they are not intruders.

Back
Top Bottom