If I got a few cayugas and crossed them with a different breed would offspring lay black eggs?

Kennas_Kritters

Songster
Dec 30, 2019
Polk City, FL
My Coop
My Coop
I have been researching cayuga ducks and have been thinking of getting a few. If I am correct cayuga ducks lay black, grey, white, green eggs depending on the time of year... if I crossed a cayuga with a breed like pekin or Indian runner would their offspring have a chance of laying black, grey, green, white eggs like the cayuga? What colors could the offspring possibly lay? I just love having different colored eggs lol. Feel free to post pictures of your cayuga mixes and their eggs if you want! I love seeing duckies! ❤🦆

I wish I could help more but my cayuga x blue runner mix is only a couple weeks old. I think the cross I have would be a gray-green colored egg, but I'm not sure. Here's a pic of my little one about a week ago with her blue x fawn & white runner sibling...I'm hatching some mixes from my blue runner drake right now to see what the babies look like 😊

Attachments

• 20210716_194731.jpg
    20210716_194731.jpg
    485.9 KB · Views: 6
Black runners can lay black eggs just like Cayugas, as well as black swedish ducks. Also not all Cayugas lay black eggs. Not sure if they can pass it on to others. But I imagine it is possible if other breeds can produce black eggs too.

Back
Top Bottom