If I hatch my hens green eggs will the babies lay green eggs??

bossynbella

Songster
12 Years
Aug 11, 2007
Iowa
Okay a little backstory. Last year we were given two feather footed bantam roosters Barns and Noble father and son. We started hatching eggs last fall. Sometime a week or so before the first batch hatched Noble was found dead.(No idea what happened) After that time we continued to hatch out chicks.

Now we are recieving one green bantam sized eggs from one of the hens from the first hatching. Today we got a brown egg, this was from a pen with two young hens 2nd and 3rd hatch and 2 old hens over 4yrs. Mothers from last year. So we do not know if it was a young or old hen who laid it.

My question is If it was Noble and Not Barns who fathered the hen laying the green egg will the other hens lay green eggs too? Did Noble get the gene from his father or his mother?? We have no way of knowing if the mother layed green eggs.

and really what I need to know most of all is this. I currently have the green egg layer (lacey) in a pen with her half brother (Phoenix) same dad(possibly) and diff. moms. If I hatch out her eggs will they lay green eggs?? Do I have my own EE bantams???

Sorry this is so long just wanted to try to cover it all. Appreciate your help in advance

I'm clueless, but it seems like I've read it all depends on if the gene was even passed on or not. With EEs there is no guarantee the gene will be passed on. Does that make sense? Someone who knows better will reply sooner or later. Most folks know more about this than I do.
smile.png

Really wondering now! we have started getting brown eggs from our other pen of young ones. GRRRRR was hoping I had started my own EE Bantams!! That would of been cool

Back
Top Bottom