If I were to get into raising fowl as my career what would be....

how about tyson chicken? they are looking for white slaves to to raise their chickens. you could make some money but would owe them for the start up cost, probably for the rest of your life. we have plenty of these chicken operations in va. you can smell dead chickens and manure for miles.

My 2 cents I love chickens and everything that goes with raising them building coops hatching them just watching them scratch around the yard. There is money to be made if you do things the right way. Maybe not get rich but a hobby that pays a little extra cash.

Two years ago I was watching the Black Copper Marans craze in full swing and thought " I can DO this" Started with trying to hatch a flock. Preditors and mail order eggs really set me back.So do not cut corners on coop construction and Get the highest quality starter birds you can. If you have to drive hours to get high quality eggs do it you will be money ahead. I Drove 12 hrs round trip to pick up some BC marans chicks some people say its dieing out on that breed but I think it will be hot for some time for HIGH quality birds and eggs. Also I made a deposite the other day on a started pair of Coronation Sussex that I will recieve in late Febuary. I tend to favor the rare breed.

So my advice it pick a few High quality breeds you like and dont cut corners put customer satisfaction at the top of your list.

Good Luck

Hey Cole,

You might want to contact Jeff (his BYC alias is brunty_farms) and his web site is: www.bruntyfarms.com

He raises broilers and egg layers for profit using very humane housing options and conditions. He post on Buckeye threads and in the Meat Birds forum.

You might also try contacting Superior Farms. Seems like they are raising birds from show strains for profit.

Also don't forget about careers in veterinary medicine.

Lydia

Back
Top Bottom