If neighbor poisoned our birds, what can I do?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I really hope you get a real camera and start recording what happens along the fence line! Maybe when you do take him to court, you will be able to demand compensation to being forced to get a camera. After all, its HIS fault you no longer feel safe in your own town.
People like him need to be kicked out of town, they aren't safe for anyone. I would be paranoide as long as he lived near by...

Quote:
A game warden is definitely who you need to talk to, because wild animals are potentially involved, and they often can have more authority to act then local law enforcement can. In fact, yesterday, the local sheriff or police should have contacted the local game warden immediately to get involved in this. (Different situation- but we caught someone that shot a small buck, ie: poaching, in the middle of the night next to our property. We stopped the guy in his truck, with a dead deer right there. We called 911, had sheriffs come out as well as a game warden, who could legally search his vehicle and seize a shotgun without a search warrant. Something the police/sheriff couldn't do.)
Good Luck.

I am sorry this is happening to you and your family.

Not sure where you are in Oklahoma, but if you are anywhere near Salt Plains the Federal Game Warden there about 3 years ago was a real piece of work. Which is good for you, he liked nothing more than to harass hunters on there own property. And no none of us were ever, and I mean ever breaking game regulations. I am sure he would be more than happy to be all over this guy for attempting to poison game birds. Good luck with the local authorities.

I say poison your neighbor! Muahaha!!
sickbyc.gif
(evil grin)
hide.gif

Wow, it's amazing how nasty people can be. Does he even realize he could be stuck with some really awful neighbors?? I agree with the poster above, he must be a very sad man.

Ok so the game warden has not arrived yet, but the Dept. of Agriculture officer did. He says he is in at least two violations for improper use of chemicals. He took very good documentation and will give to their lawyers to decide charges. The D. of Ag. officer is going to atttempt an interview with the neighbor today to find out which brand he used. He's so pompous, he will probably tell him. He also got photos of the proximity of our swing set and play fort and trampoline. It had not clicked in my head until today, but our trampoline is right there, like 25 ft with no fence in between.

It is very frustrating, as someone mentioned, that we are having to contact every department ourselves. But it may be good in a way because at least we know it will get done. The other frustrating part is that no one is doing anything about the poison still being on the ground, but I am trying to be patient.

The local police called us and said the DA wanted to know if we wanted to prosecute. (Um.... yeah.) The neighbor has already confessed to pouring it "on his side of the fence". So we are really ok as far as we don't need to try to catch him in the act.

A local lawyer heard about it from the vet and wants to pursue the civil case once everything else is wrapped up. So, that's where we are. Sigh.

In the meantime, the receptionist at his son's dental office called to confirm appointments for my 6 and 11 year old on Friday. I told her we wouldn't be there and wouldn't be back. She asked why and I told her as calmly and briefly as I could. She sounded very shocked and upset. This whole thing makes me sick.

I am so sorry that you are having to go through all this, but glad that it seems things are finally moving in a direction to prosecute your neighbor. I cannot believe how he could so callously poison your animals, as he knows your children also play in that area. It is tragic that your birds died a horrible death, but luckily your children didn't find it first.
hugs.gif
hugs.gif
hugs.gif

Ouch! Social Shunning and towns people pressures can be crushing. Community organizations and Church establishments rocognize and use this power. Business and marketing alike are responsive to public opinion, that is like a tidal wave at worst, and making unwanted ripples in the least.

Good luck, I would not risk emotional entanglements with any arm of the 'engagement'.

We also found out from the city inspector, that he has been complaining pretty heavily to the city about us, even calling board members at home. They have asked the inspector about the situation and he has informed them he has been to our property and there are no violations and it is very well kept and clean. He has said it smells and is filthy. But the inspector was able to refute all that and he told the board members to go look for themselves if they wanted. And he said NO ONE can petition to change our zoning but us and that makes me very happy. This record of complaints also leaves a trail showing his premeditation and that he was out for revenge. Not real smart on his part.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom