If neighbor poisoned our birds, what can I do?

Status
Not open for further replies.

freezefamilyfarm

Chirping
9 Years
Nov 17, 2010
Not really sure where to post this, but I need to know if anyone has ever had someone intentionally kill your animals on YOUR property and what was done about it. Toxology report should tell us soon, but we are fairly sure our ducks and geese were poisoned by our neighbor throwing something over the fence. He does not like the feathers and the fact that our chickens are not penned up away from his yard. They are fenced in on our property but he wants them further away from his. He threatened us, just last Thursday, then Monday 2 geese and 3 ducks died within a couple of hours. (We had been at work/school all day). Two ducks were still alive but showing neurological signs. The toxologist said conditions didn't seem right for botchelicm or other illnesses, but we will know for sure when he tests the two live ducks and the carcasses. I am livid. These are our food supply. No chickens were affected because they were seperated on other side of property, but we eat their eggs every day and we have children, including toddlers. To me, this is domestic terrorism. But local authorities say that if no one saw him do anything, they can't even search his yard or outbuildings.

I would sue your neighbor through an attorney. Poisoning your food supply
is attempted murder. If you go to court and lose at least you got him on notice.
I would also setup some security cameras, take pictures of the injured and dead
chickens for evidence if you go to court. Its entirely possible he is innocent but you are now in the position you
have to be on guard because the welfare and health of your family is at stake. If
you catch him with evidence then I would try not only to recover the costs of the dead
poultry but the added costs of the security equipment and as much punitive damages
as you can collect.

Mentioning that the OP called PETA is not in and of itself a violation.
The rule says
14. No discussions about animal rights organizations or Cock fighting

The ones that got all hot and bothered and started bashing and arguing about it are the violators.

This was not a discussion about PETA. The OP merely mentioned that in order to get action, she contacted them and said what happened.

I am going to close this now. Thank you to those who participated civilly.

OP. please do post when you get things resolved.

You have had a horrible experience.

So sorry to hear this, some people have no souls. I would tell him if you lose anymore animals you are going to replace all of them with screaming Guinea fowl, in pens next to his fence.
smack.gif

absolutely put up cameras, NOW! He may try again (if that is what is going on), and if he does, you NEED PROOF before the authorities can do anything. They cannot just speculate.

Quote:
Were the threats verbal or written? If toxicology reports do reveal poisoning and your duck/geese enclosure is only accessible through your yard or his fence, you may be able to press charges or take him to small claims court for at least the cost of the vet and the replacement of the fowl. Lots of pictures of the enclosure, video is suggested, showing where the only way someone could toss a poison in there would be either through trespassing or his fence. While you may not win the case, you would be on the record as having his behavior documented. This would hold some weight with the police for a potential criminal case in the future should it happen again.

Game cams if you can afford it. If you cannot afford game cams or real video cameras, get some dummies up complete with cables to give them that "real camera" look until you can get some in place. I would suggest that if you use game cams, disguise your actions when you place them (get at least two, more if possible) so he doesn't see you put them in. You may be risking a few more birds in the process but if you can catch him in the act, you can then press charges on various levels and maybe even loop in the domestic terrorism charge as well.

Another idea is if you have a phone with audio recording. Go ask flat out if he saw anyone messing with your birds while recording the conversation. That way if he does threaten again or even if he makes untoward comments (like stating he did it or wished he did so he could congratulate whoever did it), you have proof of his antagonistic behavior in verbal form.

ETA: If poisoning is what happened and you can catch him on a verbal comment, then you can get his butt in trouble for child endangerment in most areas. The children play with the animals, they can then come in contact with the poison, they can become fatally ill. Even if the police will not do anything about the death of the birds, they will investigate if the potential exists for children to be harmed. Work on the police from that angle.

Last edited:
He may have just been caught. My husband just got home and spotten them eating millet just on his side of fence (by sticking heads through). He is calling police as we speak. I will update soon!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom