If Safe-guard is the same medication as Aquasol, does that mean no egg withdrawal?

Sorry, I have searched and searched on here, and I can't find the answer. They're both fenbendazole, so couldn't I use the same dosage of safe-guard as aquasol, and skip egg withdrawal?

https://animaldrugsatfda.fda.gov/adafda/app/search/public/document/downloadFoi/3083

Yes, you can.

You have to dose each bird at a rate of 1.5 mg/Kg of body weight daily for 12 consecutive days. A 5 pound chicken would need 3.4 mg.

The Safeguard goat wormer is sold as 100 mg/ml so if you don't have an accurate way of diluting it, it's tough to get the dose correct.

Yes, you can.

You have to dose each bird at a rate of 1.5 mg/Kg of body weight daily for 12 consecutive days. A 5 pound chicken would need 3.4 mg.

The Safeguard goat wormer is sold as 100 mg/ml so if you don't have an accurate way of diluting it, it's tough to get the dose correct.

Ermagahd - not math! Math and I don't get along. Surely SOMEONE out there has calculated "if I add X ml to Y ounces of water, the dosage is Z ml per average 6 lb bird", or something to that effect. Anyone?

Ermagahd - not math! Math and I don't get along. Surely SOMEONE out there has calculated "if I add X ml to Y ounces of water, the dosage is Z ml per average 6 lb bird", or something to that effect. Anyone?

I happen to have a 10 ml pipet and a 100 ml volumetric flask as well as 1 ml and 3 ml syringes so it's rather simple for me to do the dilutions.

There is no avoiding the math to get it right.
You need a scale to weigh your birds.
You will need the 1 and 3 mls graduated syringes.

You can dilute 6 mls of the Safeguard goat dewormer (shake it vigorously prior to measuring out the 6 mls - using the 3 ml-syringe) and dilute it into exactly 4 oz of clean water. This will give you a 5 mg/ml solution of fenbendazole.

To calculate how much to give each bird, weigh them in pounds and multiply by 0.68. That will tell you how many mg they need. Let's call this number X.

Then take X and divide by 5 to tell you how many mls you need to give the bird.

Say you have a 6 pound bird. You will multiply 5 by 0.68 to get 4.08 mg.
Divide 4.08 by 5 and you get 0.82 mls of the solution you made. Every day. For 12 consecutive days.

I used tiny pieces of bread, soaked the bread with the dose and fed to the bird keeping the rest of the chickens from stealing it. It is very time consuming if you have even a small flock like mine.

I happen to have a 10 ml pipet and a 100 ml volumetric flask as well as 1 ml and 3 ml syringes so it's rather simple for me to do the dilutions.

There is no avoiding the math to get it right.
You need a scale to weigh your birds.
You will need the 1 and 3 mls graduated syringes.

You can dilute 6 mls of the Safeguard goat dewormer (shake it vigorously prior to measuring out the 6 mls - using the 3 ml-syringe) and dilute it into exactly 4 oz of clean water. This will give you a 5 mg/ml solution of fenbendazole.

To calculate how much to give each bird, weigh them in pounds and multiply by 0.68. That will tell you how many mg they need. Let's call this number X.

Then take X and divide by 5 to tell you how many mls you need to give the bird.

Say you have a 6 pound bird. You will multiply 5 by 0.68 to get 4.08 mg.
Divide 4.08 by 5 and you get 0.82 mls of the solution you made. Every day. For 12 consecutive days.

I used tiny pieces of bread, soaked the bread with the dose and fed to the bird keeping the rest of the chickens from stealing it. It is very time consuming if you have even a small flock like mine.

Huh. This is sounding much less wonderful than I originally thought.

How is safe-guard usually administered to chickens, then? No way to put it in water? I thought that's how aquasol was meant to be administered?

Finally, what is your preferred flock dewormer? Thanks in advance. Dobie people are the best. :D

Safeguard is usually administered orally, I do it with an oral syringe. The aquasol is formulated to be mixed in water, so it will stay suspended correctly. The goat wormer is not formulated to mix well in water and will settle out over time as it sits, and the dosing will be compromised greatly. I generally alternate between safeguard goat wormer, and valbazen for my birds, and I always dose each bird directly and orally to ensure that the dose is correct for each. This thread also discusses dosing to avoid withdrawl, I've never done it this way (because I want to know for sure each bird got the correct dose), but here it is if you want to consider it:
https://www.backyardchickens.com/threads/safeguard-mash-zero-day-egg-withdrawal.1254653/

Hello again! Got this fecal on my two gals who consistently have loose poop. So Safeguard it is. I read on this site 1/4 cc/ml per pound per bird, for 5 straight days, is that correct? And what is the egg withdrawal at that dosage, please? @Eggcessive @casportpony
Thank you!
Screenshot_2019-04-03-15-14-28.png

Screenshot_2019-04-03-15-14-28.png

Yes the dosage is 0.25 ml (1/4 ml) per pound given orally for 5 consecutive days. Toss eggs for 14 days after last dose, a total of 19 days. That will treat capillaria worms and ascarids.

Thank you yet again!

I find it odd that the first bird had ZERO anything in a fecal in February according to my vet (she was my impacted crop hen) and can have a moderate load now - from the state lab. Makes me think my vet is not so accurate.

Most parasites are very easily picked up in the environment, so a single negative test doesn't mean they will never pick them up. It IS possible to have a false negative test depending on where in the life cycle the parasites are. Since you know that you have parasites in your environment it would be best to worm regularly, or have fecals done regularly to check, especially if you see symptoms. Some flocks can be wormed once or twice a year and that is adequate, if the worm load in your environment is heavy, you may need to do it more often.

Back
Top Bottom