If you buy meat from the store, how the heck do you think it got there

Do not believe anything put out by PETA, ever. The main objective of PETA is to raise money for PETA. That and to prohibit the use of animals for anything including companions. And they are very good at what they do. The raising of money is paramount and the welfare of animals is waaay down on their list of concerns and their budget. Except to sensationalize abuses to get people to contribute money to PETA. Remember, this is the humane organization that euthanized a bunch of dogs and cats from their "shelter" (which last I heard had a kill rate of over 80%) and deposited the bodies in various dumpsters around town. With the kind of money PETA has at its disposal they could have kept those animals in luxury all the days of their natural lives. I think there was some jail time resulting from this caper, but the majority of the money PETA takes in goes for legal fees, not for helping animals. They sensationalize things, stage things, outright make up things, and exaggerate things. Their tactics are very effective. They take in a pile of money every year.

yep bruntyfarms... gotta raise your own. :)

why i'm a member of PETA - thats
People
Eating
Tasty
Animals

oh come on somebody had to say it....

hee hee hee

kinda reminds me of my teenage niece standing there in here PETA tshirt that read: i am not a nugget (pic of sad hen)

she was angry and indignant that i was so CRUEL and MEAN and meat was murder and how could i eat THAT (pointing to my plate of food).

fast forward a couple years, she needs a job to pay for her college and guess where she works:

McDonalds

and yes she makes the mcnuggest. we howl with laughter every time this comes up. poor little thing.....

Okay -- I'm off the PETA thread 'cause I only know mean jokes and we're s'posed to be nice -- and on the "where do you think the meat in the store comes from" and education -- My friend's 5 yr old granddaughter gets to name the poultry -- Last year the turkeys names were Noodle, Dumplin', Thanksgiving, Christmas, and YUMMY......So ya gotta start the education young, I guess! LOL

oh go ahead with the 'mean joke' ha ha ha ha i mean i thought this was the MEAT chicken section.... ;-)

my buddy who started me farming has taught his boys from day one where food comes from - they called their first pigs 'Breakfast, Lunch, and Dinner" and when their lambs were born a couple years ago the boys didnt say 'oh arent they cute' - they said 'oh they look deeeelicious'

but seriously - its a hard thing. popular media tells you one thing and the other side of the story is never shown. and how are you supposed to know/learn where your food comes from if you think a clown hands it to you from the drive thru?

I think the problem is that people forget that animals are animals. Theyre not people. Animals are not equal to people. Sorry. I said it! If you ask me to make a choice of a baby or a chick the baby's life is going to come out on top every time.

I dont agree with killing for sport, and I dont agree with mass production killing. Animals should be treated well and with respect- anything that gives its life for another makes the biggest sacrifice there is, and MUST be treated thusly.

I buy from a local old time butcher who receives his animals from small production family farms. He kills them that same morning they come off the truck, and only has enough animals to sell that day or the next. So theyre not standing around on cement in filth hungry and stressed out- off the truck and on the rack, literally dont know what hits them.

Its people like that lady that drive me up the wall. I cant stand peta, or like minded people. They had the gull to come into our small teeny tiny town after a boy was mildly hurt in a hay ride accident and petition the MAYOR to ban and make illegal any form of cart or wagon pulling- any farm work- by horses. WHAT THE HELL?!

People who equate animals with people are my biggest pet peeve. I treat my animals well, it saddens me when I lose one, and it pricks my heart to take meaties in for slaughter. But I gave them life for the purpose of consumption, I made sure it was good and they were happy and well treated, and I made sure they died humanely. That's better than any deal in the food chain. I dare them to require such good treatment from the elements, disease, or predators of the wild.

UUUAAAAHHH!

*breathe*

Amosunknown, well said. I couldn't agree with you more. I either raise my own meat animals or buy on the hoof from local farmers and have the animal processed locally. I haven't purchased any meat from a store in over a year. Either I eat meat protein from a source where I know the animal is raised and processed humanely or I will forgo meat.

very well said!!! and 100% agree

but it IS a hard thing - if all your info comes from MTV how are you supposed to know any better? i kinda wish they'd take up the cause of hunger and see that effectively and humanely raising animals would help a lot of people. there are people starving in THIS country and someone is having a breakdown over if you can/cannot adopt a bunny?? or over a hay wagon ride? oh geez how's about if all those animals rotting in farm animal 'rescue' places were humanely butchered for the local people who need food?

in our area they did some big fund raiser to ship a 400lbs hog to a rescue half way across the country. but nobody thought geez there is a huge line outside the local food pantry? and THOSE people, our neighbors, are going to bed hungry?

wowza

one of the trends thats hard for me to watch is that so many younger women dont even cook anymore - so if you dont handle food and arent familiar with it... how are you supposed to learn about it? i see younger moms shriek and hop around about eeeeewwwww raw meat i dont want to touch it eeeewwwwe!!!

well then how the heck are the kids supposed to know any better?

i'm kinda hoping the current crisis will bring people around and eat 'lower' on the food chain - as in not prepared food - but real food you have to cook yourself
;-)

Quote:
I eat the way I eat not because of the production really, but because of the stuff they put in our meats. antibiotics and hormones aside- they inject it with MSG and other crap so its juicy and red looking. Nevermind the days it spends in transit and in a fridge at the store. UGH.

Its scary to look at the state of our food, and the little knowledge most women my age have about what it really takes to make and keep food, and wonder how the HELL we'd survive if we were at war.

Its bound to happen- all things aside, history says that no nation goes 200 years without a war on their soil, it just doesnt happen. History aside, common sense while reading and studying history says that no nation says "we are not a godly christian nation" and doesnt go through awful times. And without stores on every corner or mcdonalds, how will people survive?

I live like I live because SOMEONE has to feed the babies. Someone has to know how to, someone's got to be there to turn to if needed.

If its not needed, then at least it was a pleasant, simple, enjoyable hobby and way of life.

Back
Top Bottom