If you could adopt one of these chickens...

Try that out...but keeping in mind the insulating layer feathers provide...what you described sounds good for fall days as a wind breaker a bit...I think he needs a bit more than that though being completely naked...I know I'd need much more than the mattress cover...brrrr...we're all just naked under our clothes.....will he be in a heated room at night? His genetics are so worth the added care he's going to need....

number 4 cuz its so cute
smile.png

Last edited:
I would choose #6. Beautiful statue-like bird.

Anyhow, @ thread starter - what is the purpose of your question? Just for fun?
Yep, it's just for fun. We created this collage for BYC's FB page originally and then decided to post it here as well for the non-FB folks.

https://www.facebook.com/raisingbac...45681869235/10152624969049236/?type=1&theater

There is another collage on FB right now that is going to make it's way here soon, so keep an eye out. The theme of that one is "cute" (and I was sooo tempted to use Rudy again)

Is number #3 a real breed of chicken? I've heard of naked necks but not an entirely naked bird! I bet the poor thing gets chilly easily. Without a doubt I would choose number #6 though, such a stunning black color!

I think it might be a member of the broiler strain that was developed in Israel by crossing Naked Necks with existing broiler strains. The idea wasn't just easy plucking, it was because broilers can have a very hard time in hot climates. I think they also selectively bred the Naked Necks used for fewer and fewer feathers.

They do sunburn and they do have temperature regulation issues related to drafts and chills.

# 3 is very real, his name is Rudy and he is my chicken, hatched in my incubator his parents are both NN, so genetically he is a NN, but he also has Sc gene which makes him featherless

How do you protect him from sunburn and temperature extremes? Does he need to have his skin cared for, like the hairless dogs and cats do? (I know birds are different than mammals, but I feel so sorry for him - his condition must interfere with the joys of being a chicken on some level, as hairlessness does for mammals.)

He's really interesting to look at, but I feel so *sorry* for him..... please tell me he has a good life and that there are ways to accommodate the issues caused by his featherlessness. I thought he was one of those Israeli naked broiler strain birds when I saw him.

I am going to make him an outfit from a mattress liner. It has waterproof, breathable plastic like coating on one side and terry clothe on the other.

Are you using Silikies or Ayam Cemani or ?????? to increase the fibromelanism in your flock?

It's funny, I look at these birds and the La Fleche, the Black Spanish, and the Ayam Cemani are drop dead gorgeous - but I feel it is a waste for very rare birds to go to someone who isn't in a position to breed them. The little bearded one is adorable - but the Dominiques in the Keystone Koop would probsbly terrorize such a delicate bird, and I am not sure what my husband would say if I suggested removing a few garden beds to set up a bantam coop. Number 3 is fascinating, but I tend to get attached, and the featherlessness seems likely to lead to premature death, so I guess it is #5 for me.

Ah, the burdens of being practical.

One thing I enjoy about Naked Necks is deadpanning how they came from Transylvania and were specially bred by the Count...... either for his own purposes, or for the purposes of his flock of vampiric chickens.

I am going to make him an outfit from a mattress liner. It has waterproof, breathable plastic like coating on one side and terry clothe on the other.

See if Halley-Hansen - the outfit that makes gear both for recreational sailors and working maritime - would like to make him a cute little jacket as a promotional stunt.

Back
Top Bottom