If you could adopt one of these chickens...

I think it might be a member of the broiler strain that was developed in Israel by crossing Naked Necks with existing broiler strains. The idea wasn't just easy plucking, it was because broilers can have a very hard time in hot climates. I think they also selectively bred the Naked Necks used for fewer and fewer feathers.

They do sunburn and they do have temperature regulation issues related to drafts and chills.

The Isreal birds came later, I do not know if they are crossed w/ NN there or not. The NN is not of any consequence at all if a UK Cochin (most feathered bird I could think of) had a double hit of the Sc gene it would be just as naked as Rudy, the first birds to have this natural genetic makeup (and it is a natural genetic makeup) were New Hampshire reds in a flock in CA in the 1950's.

And yes there are some warm parts of the world that are trying to make naked broiler chickens to raise commercially like they do Cornish cross here for cheap(er) meat in those countries where it is just to hot to raise commercial chickens.

Back
Top Bottom