If you could create a breed or a variety of a breed, what would you make?

Pics
There are already at least 13 color varieties that I'm aware of, not to mention they also come in single and rose comb.
Ya I have most of them, working on probably another 13 and plans for probably another 13.
I'm looking to have enough varieties to rival the variety numbers of breeds such as oegb.

I've seen some interesting ideas in this thread. More than I could conjure up.
But I hope y'all realize some of these combinations spoken of will take more than a few matings. Some may be impossible or at least a minimum of 5 years and at least 10 generations of strict management and selection to come close to anything repeatable. This is especially true when mixing breeds of obviously different body types.
Trust me, those disparate genes will continue to crop up in sports for many years to come. Most of the breeds in the world weren't developed overnight. It took generations of aficionados to perfect some of these great breeds.

Last edited:
I've seen some interesting ideas in this thread. More than I could conjure up.
But I hope y'all realize some of these combinations spoken of will take more than a few matings. Some may be impossible or at least a minimum of 5 years and at least 10 generations of strict management and selection to come close to anything repeatable. This is especially true when mixing breeds of obviously different body types.
Trust me, those disparate genes will continue to crop up in sports for many years to come. Most of the breeds in the world weren't developed overnight. It took generations of aficionados to perfect some of these great breeds.
Well, that is true, but even in established breeds there is variance, no bird is identical, some will always fit a written standard more than others... And, happily, unlike many other animals, a generation for a chicken can be less than a year... What's really needed is a strong understanding of the traits you want and if they are dominant, recessive, or neither... And it depends on how picky you are... In the case of the Golden Crested Easter Egger, they would have to be buff (not hard to do), lay colored eggs (not hard either) and have a crest. Best would be to choose dominant traits that you want, then breed out unwanted recessives and breed in wanted recessives over some generations... In the case of the Golden Crested Easter Egger, I would have to breed out Silkie fluff feathers... and only hatch green eggs.

I want to make muffed bantam cochins. I'd cross with d'uccles and then breed back to cochins. I've seen a few F1 crosses if these two and some are close to what I want to make.

My other dream project is Tolbunt for bantam cochins I've read through the entire Tolbunt Polish thread so on the one hand I understand the recipe, but on the other hand I also know this will not be close to easy.

I'm casually working towards a truly dual-purpose, speckled/mottled Easter Egger flock. I had to re-start my flock this spring after a major predator issue last fall, so this project is very much in its infancy. Will I ever "finish"? Meh...that's debatable, but I'm sure I'll have fun along the way.

Back
Top Bottom