If You Could Only Have 6 Chickens...

6 Chanteclers. I like all the varieties, but maybe Buff? Chanteclers are beautiful, productive, and hardy. What more could you want?

Nice! This is another breed I should be getting this spring. We are still interested in experiencing breeds. Already have a few we really enjoy, but still want to explore more. White Chantecler is what we ordered, but straight run so we will see what we get.

I'm going to be moving in a few months so I'm going to have to get rid of my ten as we will have no place to keep them even if local ordinances would let me have more than four. So I have been looking at different breeds trying to decide.

However, If I could have six I guess I would have Easter Eggers, Black Australorp, a gold laced Wyandotte (for show) and if one of them can be a rooster I think I would choose a light Brahma. Gentle, but awe inspiring (what sane person would invade a house that's being guarded by a two foot tall mutant chicken? :lau ).

Well if you change the rules to only 6 per property... I am going to simply have to divide my property into subplots. For every rule... there has to be a loophole.
Now there's an idea, the two lots behind mine are empty..... ;)

No way I could choose... But at least one silkie! I love mine! My barred rock hen is super friendly, and a great layer, Love my polish, but she is not a good layer (possibly due to age [6] but none of her previous owners said she laid well at all) and my buff orps are people friendly... But they are all big bullies and piglets! (And human finger biters)

I'd have:
Marans--friendly and beautiful eggs
PBR--great egg layers and mine at least are people-friendly
Golden campine--they're gorgeous and inquisitive
Speckled Sussex--great egg layers and chill
Appenzeller Spitzhauben--very cool looking and so friendly I call them my dog-chickens. Not great egg layers, but I don't care. :)

When I get the okay from the city to build a coop and populate it, I'll be limited to three birds, so I'll just claim two of three kinds for this exercise: Two buff Orpingtons, two buff Brahmas and two Skånsk Blommehöna. I want birds that are cute, friendly, lay, go broody and can handle the -25°C that we have been getting off and on for the past three weeks. Runners up include Rhode Island Red, salmon Faverolle and Welsummer.

Back
Top Bottom