If you could only have two breeds, what would they be?

Well, I have 2 breeds as of today. I went to this show, ya see. These little quail colored chipmunk faced birds JUMPED in my car. That's my story and I'm sticking to it.
tongue2.gif

Sooo, I'd have to say Orpingtons and Belgian d'Anvers (the adorable little monsters) although I really, really like the OEGB's.

I get to keep my sexlinks, because they're not a breed!
wee.gif

Last edited:
Hi! That is a noodler...
IF I was going to be isolated with no hope of adding new breeds forever and could only take 2 breeds, only two breeds, I would take blue Silkies and Barred Rocks.
If I could sneak a couple others in, I'd bring a blue Ameraucana, a Naked Neck, and a frizzled Cochin. I think I could spend the rest of my life exploring the genetic possibilities there.
smile.png

Lisa

I have to agree with all of the barred rock people...and my second breed would be SILKIES! This way I could have lots of great brown eggs, meat birds from the extra roos, and silkies because I can't live without them!

I don't have experience with other breeds, but I love my Buff Orpingtons, because they look golden brown and crispy on the outside
gig.gif
. They just started laying last week, and I an impressed with how big my roo is. Can't wait to hatch out some next spring and see how they taste
droolin.gif
. For the second, I would have to go with my EE's even if they are not a "breed", because my kids love when I fix green eggs and ham
droolin.gif

Interesting, my Barred Rocks do nothing for me. Must just be the personality of my particular birds. I like the roo much better than the hen though. She's just plain boring.

So far my picks would be Easter Eggers and Speckled Sussex. If I couldn't have EE's because of the "its not a breed" technicality then I'd have a tie between Australorps, Welsummers, and Marans
idunno.gif
. But there are so many more I'd like to try first before I have to make my final decision.
droolin.gif
I think I've caught the chicken bug.

Back
Top Bottom