If you could only have two ducks, what would you choose?

savingdogs

Crowing
13 Years
Aug 2, 2009
Southwestern Washington State
I'd like to have a couple ducks for eggs primarily and slug patrol. I was thinking a male and female pair so we could raise ducklings.

I'm allergic to chicken eggs so would like to have some duck eggs for my own consumption and the entertainment of having ducks.

If we did get a pair, we would possibly be interested in selling or eating the offspring. Might not have the heart to eat them though.

Suggestions from the duck experts? Easy and entertaining first breed recommendations?

I'd like to get only two as I don't have a pond and don't want to dump and clean anything large daily, so I really want to keep my group to two. They will have to spend a good percentage of their time cooped up here because of predation.

Do I want a pair? Would two females be happy?

I'm a total duck newbie and need some good advice. I'd like something I can eventually feed (chicken) layer feed.

Thanks in advance for your help and opinions!

I would get a Runner and a Muscovy. The Runners are great layers and are extremely funny. The Muscovies are great mothers.

I have chickens but am going to get two ducks soon.
celebrate.gif
I want to get two females and have been thinking the same thing as you. Which ones? I have decided on Pekins. They lay well and are gorgeous. I just love the traditional duck look. Just a suggestion.

I would get runners, but then that is what I have and I think they are fantastic!!! They are also good egg layers, and I've heard they clean up the slugs pretty good too!

Muscovies. They're the only breed of duck I like the taste of, they're quiet, and they absolutely destroy any pest that dares come into their territory, a plus if you want slug patrol. Plus they have the most charming personalities and are absolutely gorgeous.

I've never met a runner or a muscovy but they do look very cute! I have three call ducks (call mutt ducks) and they are small, easy to look after, loving and eat anything that looks gross ie slugs, snails, bugs etc. They forage all day...when they're not paddling. Plus they are cute too! They come runnin when you call them too...provided they're not up to something naughty!

41074_p1310092.jpg

We are not worried about noisy, I am pretty much deaf anyway and we live way out in the forest. Loud would be good for me if they want my attention.

I was hoping to start with ducklings in the spring, they are so cute. Looks like muscovys/runners/Pekins so far are all getting suggested. Priss is that a Pekin or a call duck in that picture, it is awfully cute.
Pekins lay white eggs, right?
Is is easy to tell duck eggs from chicken eggs? I'd hope to have a distinct color egg from the other three I have (off white, BO pinky-tan and RIR light brown).
I love the idea of them being funny. We already enjoy our barnyard so much for the humor factor (chickens, goats, cats and dogs so far). We pretty much want the ducks as pets and entertainment although I really do want to eat the eggs. The goats make us laugh alot especially when they are cold and frisky.

What is different about the taste of muscovy? To tell you the truth I've only eaten duck three times, all three times prepared by fine restaurants. The first two times it was called "Pekin duck" in a chinese restarant and I hated it, too greasy.
Then once on the Queen Mary (the boat is a restaurant now) they served a salad with thin slices of some sort of leaner cut of duck and that was one of the most yummy things I've ever eaten.
I might get over my sadness of eating my baby ducks I raise if they tasted like THAT. And the asian dish was disgusting, I don't like greasy.

I also heard once that ducks that eat slugs lay "slimy eggs." Is that true? I know my chickens eat alot of bugs and their eggs are the yummiest so I doubt it.

But I do live in the land of the banana slug. Ever seen one of them? My chickens can't even swallow them.

That last dish you described sounds more like muscovy. It is leaner and not greasy, and to me it tastes more like some sort of beef or venison than duck. I've read on here people comparing it to veal, but I've never had veal so I wouldn't know. You're right, the slimy egg theory is false. If you want ducks for eggs for the most part, I'd choose runners, but muscovies do have the sweetest personalities and are wonderful mothers. They wag their tails like dogs and do this funny head bobbing thing that is absolutely adorable . . . but then, if you're going for the cute factor you can't miss with any breed of duck. Some people do find muscovies ugly just because of the caruncles, but I think those people just have caruncle envy and are secretly jealous of the muscovy owners.
tongue.png

The picture is of Doogie my call duck mutt. He's pretty small and eats lots of slugs and has nice but small pale green/blue eggs that arent slimey. Although we totally don't have banana slugs in England! My calls wag their tails when they're happy too. Muscovies are mighty cute too though! There was a picture of a little silver muscovy hen posted a few days ago that was beautiful. I got a feeling you can't go wrong with a duck in general!

Back
Top Bottom