If you had to live off just the food in your house...

I have about 1 year worth of meat "from the farm yard" (roosters, ducks, rabbits and lamb). Tons of veggies that I caught on sale at the local grocery store. They were $0.25 a can. I bought $50.00 worth. Have a few gallons of milk and loaves of bread in the freezer that I bought on sale. Have tons of containers of frozen soups, stews, gumbos, pasta dishes in the freezer from making extra leftover. Will always have lots of eggs from the chickens, ducks and turkeys. I have TONS of tea bags for tea so that would last about 1 year.

It's just me so, this would last a while.

Everyone else would be ok for a month, but die of food boredom, or food poisoning because I would die in a couple weeks (food allerigies - my stockpile is much smaller than theirs) and then they would have to cook things themselves!
tongue.png

Detailing: we have a lot of brown rice 40 lbs. and lots of dry beans. A few shelves of cans. Wish I had a real nice root cellar (topography/water table/bedrock makes it expensive). But I will have eggs as long as their feed holds out, then chicken stew.

The garden is a fail this year, but there's still some tough herbs and hangers on of peppers, carrots, chard. I need bacon for the wild greens.

eta: coffee supply might last two weeks as it stands now, then three weeks of teas, then its all herbals

Last edited:
Quote:
How do you keep your potatoes, apples, carrots, etc from going bad? How do you preserve them? When I buy a 5 lb bag of potatoes, they will rot if I don't eat them within a certain time.
hmm.png
It takes me a long time to eat 5 lbs of potatoes.

Good idea with the buckets of flour and sugar? How long can flour last without having those little bugs getting into them?

MOnths, but I'd have to plant radishes and lettuce immediately. The chickens would have to be culled, since we couldn't feed them on our city lot---at least not at the current flock size. If it weren't so hot in the summer, we could survive indefinately with a small flock----I'd happily container-plant everything on the roof and use the yard for chicken food.

A year, but of course we wouldn't let the neighbors starve.
big_smile.png
Something to keep in mind, if you use it, is that chick scratch can be eaten as a cooked cereal. We tried it and not too bad tasteing. Ours is corn, milo and wheat. We keep several bags ahead just for such an emergency. We are an hour from a store. Also have lots of water stored.

Back
Top Bottom