If you have a dog.....

shiloh_holding_hen.jpg

Shetland Sheepdog. Shiloh has no sheep to herd, so he herds chickens. I keep the chickens penned up since he thinks he just has to keep them in line. When a chicken escapes, Shiloh goes to work. He will "pounce" on the chicken and stand over it until I get there and pick up the chicken to put it back inside the pen. He has never so much as ruffled a feather on any chicken. If I don't get there quickly enough, he gets bored and walks away from the chicken until it starts to move again - then he's right back on top of it.

The Southern Agrarian

I have a German Shepherd and he just loves my girls,

38951_pict1142.jpg

38951_pict1145.jpg

especially Buffy who plays chase me with him, untill she gets bored then she just walks away.
Did have a little accident with him when he was still a puppy and had to show him a dead chicken is no fun to play with, but im sure whatever dog you get be prepared to make a sacrifice to teach the dog right from wrong.

two dogs here - both rescues and therefore mutts (rez dogs most likely). one looks like a golden retriever only red with very long legs, except that she has a curly tail (curly like husky curly, we can't figure that out). she loves chicks when they are in the house and thinks everything we bring home is her baby so she is safe with birds. she is very smart too.

the other is an australian shepherd/collie cross and she is dumb as a rock, paranoid, and neurotic. she tries to eat everything from cats to dinner off your plate if you're not looking. the birds are not safe with her at all and i would never let her get close to them. she tries to get through the wire when we have baby chicks in the house but usually the cats hiss at her or the other dog keeps her away and then she won't try again for a while.

the cats (5, also all rescues) don't bother the chicks or grown birds, one kept getting into their cage and trying to sleep with them. they seem more confused by them than anything else.

22430_oscar.jpg

whenever I let Oscar, our 1 year-old, 160+ pound newfie dog outside, he chases the chickens, so I chase Oscar. The chickens get to free-range, but Oscar doesn't...

Last edited:
I have a spaniel-basset mix, a lab-dane mix, and a purebred Dane.
2008ChristmasPhotosm.jpg

My spaniel-basset is excellent with the chickens and is 100% trustworthy. My lab-dane is fine as long as he's supervised but has a bit of a prey drive so I don't leave him alone. The Dane is dumb and thinks the chickens are fun to chase. Ever since she killed a baby chick by stomping on it I keep her separated from the birds.

We have a Golden Retriever ( Who is also my avatar ) who is fantastic around the chickens. He still chases them every now and again, but just because he likes to see them fly.
smile.png

We also have a dog that we babysit who is an Aussie Border Collie mix, and we haven't tried her around the chickens yet.

One Lab mutt who's pretty good around them. She likes to 'round them up' and sometimes gets a little overzealous. The girls put her back in her place with a peck on the nose.
The beagle on the other hand....not so good. She just can't help herself; the hunting dog instinct runs too deep. She burrowed under the garden and got my young rooster when I had my back turned one day. She didn't want to eat him, just 'get him for me'. She was very proud of herself, and I was one mad momma. I have to be VERY careful about not letting her get out when the girls are out of the coop.

I have three wonderful dogs. A lab named Morgan who is good around the chickens. Tobi is a German Shepherd/Rotti mix and she loves the chickens and the chickens don't mind her, when I dish out oatmeal Tobi and the chickens share with no problem.
lol.png
My other mutt Albert loves the chickens too....but not in a good way. He will chase and eat them and any other thing that moves for that matter....
hmm.png

I have a 12 yr old Pit/Lab mix, who is too old to care about much. And a 3 yr old Pit Bull 'Caia' who's only thought is of how she's going to get her butt scratched next. Neither were raised with chickens, but accepted them right away. Because of the hawks and coyotes in our area, I keep my hens in their "vault" until we are available to go outside and free range with them. I send the kids and the dogs out there with my 3 big hens, and my 3 chicks, and I only have to worry about accidental tail beatings. One day one of my Australorps had just had enough of the dog's tail, and went after her! My pittie stood her ground, but didn't hurt the chicken. I have left my dogs unsupervised for short periods with the chickens- like to run in the house or something, but they don't chase the birds, or show much interest.

I do like how some of your dogs are chasing or barking at the hawks. I'll have to see if I can train my younger dog to do that...as you can't teach old dogs new tricks...LOL

I know this picture is totally WRONG, but it cracks me up. Good advertisement for pitties if you ask me. LOL.

099.jpg

Here's one of the big hawks soaring over my driveway.... I appreciate all that they are, but I don't want to feed them.

IMG_3960.jpg

I have a 3 yr. old female rat terrier and she is great around the birds/coop, all she wants to do is find the mice. Once she picked up a chick in her mouth that had escaped, i told her to drop it and she released it unharmed. Our male rat terrier was great with the birds too until his unfortunate accident with a car.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom