If you have a dog.....

We recently adopted a hound from someone who had him and a German Shepherd. The German Shepherd killed the previous owner's chickens, but the hound dog never joined in. We have chickens now and this hound dog and our terrier mix who looks to have a lot of Scottish Terrier in her, both run around the yard and during their play will sometimes get in the way of the chickens causing them to 'flush' and run out of the shrubbery in excitement, but neither dog has ever shown any interest in going after them. Our Australian Shepherds were the best dogs we ever owned. They know what you want them to do because they know what you're thinking. Our Cocker Spaniel loved chickens to death - theirs.

I've got two small orchards and I've had chickens and other barnyard animals forever. Since we live in the country (near Santa Cruz, CA), we have coyotes, skunks, raccoons, etc. Over the years I've had to fence in the orchards to keep the deer out and the chickens in, but when I've had a good dog on patrol at night, I've never had an incident of predation. Currently I have an Australian Shepherd who is very protective of all the livestock. When she was younger, she DID "play to death" an agressive rooster, but that type of playing hasn't happened for a long time with the chickens. She does this "playing" with our sheep ram now. When he challenges her, she prances around and plays with him until she's tired.

Years ago, our first dog killed a chicken and we tried tying the corpse around her neck--old timers' cure. A very disagreeable--and ineffective--procedure. That dog was a slow learner. Our current Aussie is very smart, and it only took a few scoldings for her to understand that her job was to protect the animals, not chase them--unless I'm moving the sheep, when she has learned--almost intuitively--to keep near me. My Aussie and I tried to herd the chickens from one pasture to another, but I discovered that chickens do not herd well. Next year I'm going to get some geese which can be moved in a group easily, and will keep the grass down in my two orchards.

Unkledon

We have a chihuahua/terrier mix. She is excellent with the chickens. Except she wants to play.
smile.png

Quote:
The cat "Tiger" absolutely loves him. He follows him everywhere!
https://www.backyardchickens.com/forum/uploads/54290_dscn0130.jpg
https://www.backyardchickens.com/forum/uploads/54290_dscn0134.jpg
https://www.backyardchickens.com/forum/uploads/54290_dscn0105.jpg

I have a cat that does the same with my pit/lab mix. The minute the dog lays down the cat is next to/on top of her. It's hysterical. Especially since the two of them are almost identical, white with big black spots. The dog is almost 9, they have been this way since we brought the tiny kitten home almost a year ago.

I just had to catch one of the Jack Russells today. If one of them gets loose they want the chickens. The chickens taunt them by scratching around their pens and they behave like prey when chased. I have a large greyhound mix lurcher that probably would chase them as he likes to course things but he's so obedient that once I told him no he's not interested in them (at least when I'm watching.)

Quote:
Try a schipperke! About 15-20lbs (lap size), have REALLY dense coat but shed little (undercoat is SO thick it catches it!), and they live FOREVER! Mine sadly had to be put down (on my birthday of all days!) from cancer. She was 17+. We have another at home that is my daughter's. She is over 20, lives outdoors by preference (we TRY to bring her in), the chickens think she is their rooster. The neighbors often mistake her for a potbellied pig. She IS a bit overweight, but will eat crickets all summer even when we try to make her diet. We are currently trying to keep her OUT of the chicken area... but they have yummy food you see! LOL

We also have a "border collie mixed with something hairy". My personal guess is pappillion due to her ears. She is also great with the chickens.

None of ours were raised with chickens. All have a pretty good prey drive and torment the local wildlife and neighbors pets. My departed schip frequently killed small possums, mice, a few birds, ect. All can be left alone with the chickens though. and with our pet parrots. We did have to have one or two discussions about chasing at first, I admit. But no problem since. Cossette (the older than sin schip) knows they are a meal ticket for scavanged goodies, and Mackenzie (the BCx) is willing to wait for cooked eggs! LOL

My Avatar is Buzzer, a 13 lbs. minipin....... loves to seek prey and will get a little weird with little chicks but otherwise ignores the hens and stays away from the roo

This is Tess, 15 lbs. a true farm dog always hunting for and will attempt to kill any possible chicken predator, including bear, lion and coyote, or even any critter that intrudes on the hen house. She early on accepted all the birds as part of the pack
38332_tessieinjail.jpg

Here both dogs watching the chickens out our front window
38332_waiting_for_dad.jpg

Here is Byrdy our biggest hunter. This male cat now out wieghs ether of our dogs and has been know to chase a racoon right up a fir tree
38332_img_0147.jpg

And finaly there is this fellow......... seriously confused!

38332_image-12.jpg

I let my chicks have free range of the yard. We already had a hunting lab. I spent about 6 visits to the backyard making sure she knew the hens were mine. No trouble at all. She goes out with them all the time with no supervision. My Maltese is a little nervous about those sharp beaks, so she leaves them alone, too

Back
Top Bottom