If you have a dog.....

Patsy Kline, my Rough Coat Collie still lets the chickens climb on her. I think they think they can still make a nest in her fur...
55921_rest2.jpg

I have a Kelpie, I leave him in with the chickens during the day to discourage hawks. He's completely trustworthy, but he does like to eat the chicken feed. I can also use him to herd the chickens if needed.

2 American Eskimos and a Beagle. I don't trust any of them with the chickens unsupervised - it would just be too easy for something to go wrong! However with a lot of training I do trust the older Eskimo with the chickens when I am around.

IMG_7305.JPG

The puppy hasn't learned yet that they aren't for chasing. She's a recent addition, and I just need to work with her more. We do all positive clicker training, and it worked fine with the other two.

I can't blame any dog for wanting to chase a flapping, squawking chicken!

I have an Australian Cattle Dog, better known as a Heeler, and her job is the chickens. She's been great around them and knows it's her job to keep them safe. She inspects the coops and runs, several times a day making sure everything is in check and if something doesn't seem quite right, she lets me know.
smile.png

7910_dsc06038.jpg

We have a golden retriever 4 years old and she looks after my hens very well , we think she has adopted them as her babies as when we let the hens out she is out there watd=ching over them very carefully , when they move she watches to make sure she knows where the hen is
smile.png

I have a Yorkshire Terrier. He is too rough with the cats as it is, so I don't let him around the chickens. They are in a run away, so he can't get to them.
smile.png

BigDaddy'sGurl :

Quote:
I just have to say: it looks like that hen is "squatting" for the dog LOL

lau.gif

Actually, that is exactly what the hens do when the dog has them stopped.​

Back
Top Bottom