If you have a dog.....

i have 2 heelers.i am very surprised but they don't bother the chickens.however,i don't trust them around chicks without their mother or me around.

41488_heeler_800x600.jpg

We trained "leave it" for our Rottwieler pup, and she is really good with the chickens now!!
In fact, when the old rooster became extremely aggressive and was attacking me and really hurting me, she charged in between us, put her mouth around his neck and threw him off me, them stayed between us, but never hurt him. (That rooster was gone in a day).
Training is the key. Leave it is such a useful command, but you really have to follow the directions and train it propoerly.

Last edited:
deanna&rich :

We trained "leave it" for our Rottwieler pup, and she is really good with the chickens now!!
In fact, when the old rooster became extremely aggressive and was attacking me and really hurting me, she charged in between us, put her mouth around his neck and threw him off me, them stayed between us, but never hurt him. (That rooster was gone in a day).
Training is the key. Leave it is such a useful command, but you really have to follow the directions and train it propoerly.

agreed! Elvis learned leave it from day one. BEST command ever. if i had to choose just one, that would be it. it could even save your dogs life some day​

i have 2 blue heelers & they dont care bout the chickens. im trying to teach them to either bark or chase them when they get in the vegie garden but they dont get it lol. the chooks will even go & steal the dogs food out of the kennel & i hear this barking & i run out & here they are with their heads trou the netting eating out of the dog bowls
gig.gif
lau.gif

the dogs just sit in the box part & bark like 'hey thats my food'

I have a rottweiler lab mix. She likes all of our chickens and rabbits. Likes them in the good way not the bad. Chickens are not trusting. But I have had rabbits get out all night only to find them cuddled up with her in the dog house in the morning. (No injuries)
68510_m_98330675c40e5c60004334ec02975f48.jpg

Last edited:
We've got a pug who is totally indifferent to them. But then again, he's totally indifferent to just about any other animals, except in terms of, "are they getting treats and I'm not?".

We get a visitor Boston terrier, he torments them a bit when he first comes to visit, but gets over it quickly. Our larger dog, mixed breed, started out chasing them but with proper supervision, she only "herded" them after a while. She tried to keep them in their fenced in area, once they got big enough to jump the fence.

I suppose it's got a lot to do with how they are introduced and how they are supervised. Pugs aren't known for their bird-hunting, obviously, but the mixed-breed seemed to have a decent idea of what chasing down a bird was about - but she still was able to learn to treat them as family rather than prey.

I have a Jack Russell. He made one "mistake" when we first got the chicks. We corrected him and there have been no other incidents. He kills snakes, possums, and foxes so is really a big help in protecting my 20 hens and 2 roos.

I am really enjoying this thread! Love the pictures and will try and upload one of mine. I have 2 dobermans and a chihuahua mix and they are all 100% safe with the chickens. The big male lays in the sun with them and allows them to climb on him and groom him!!

Back
Top Bottom