if you have chickens that range, do they know you better in the winter

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by picklespickles, Dec 10, 2007.

1. picklespickles

picklespickles Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 27, 2007
    my chickens have always been standoffish which has been fine to me, actually. but now that it is cold, suddenly it's like HEY there's the lady who brings food. lol. you're our BEST friend.

it makes me feel like they really do get enough around here in the other seasons with some supplementary feeding but lots of bugs and plants and such to eat. because suddenly when they're not, they take notice of which door i use to the house and so forth.

was wondering if other people who didn't have them as pets noticed seasonal changes in behavior related to food source like that.

2. hypnofrogstevie

hypnofrogstevie chick magnet

Jul 12, 2007
    Newton NJ
    My moms barred rocks. They hate me and run when I have to bring them in. But when its feeding time they are between my feet

3. CovenantCreek

CovenantCreek Chicks Rule!

Oct 19, 2007
    Franklin, TN
    My girls (red sex links) have always been very curious about what I was doing and would tend to follow me around. During the summer they would come running if they saw me headed toward one of the horse troughs -- hoping that I would turn it over for them to harvest the collection of crickets gathered underneath. I've also noticed that they'll hang out by the swing set if there's a person down there, otherwise their roaming pattern keeps them closer to the house. Maybe since I've been the one to give them scratch, to take the horses out of the stalls, and to create their cricket (now earthworm) feasts they've always seen me as a source of good things.

4. palabeco

palabeco Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 29, 2007
    S.W. PA
    My four leghorns that we raised from chicks always come running as soon as they see me come out of the house.

5. Sheila

Sheila Out Of The Brooder

Jul 23, 2007
    NW MA
    When my chickens see me head toward the compost pile with a garden fork in my hand, they fly. They love the worms.

Right now they are bored out of their minds. I'm keeping them in for their own good, it is so cold. Also, they can get under their coop, and trying to coax them out at the end of the day when it's 0 degrees gets a little rough (on me).

We had a big storm this week. I let the girls out while I shoveled a path from their coop to the gate. They stayed right behind me in the cleared path till I finished, then let me know that they wanted to continue on out (range). I said, "The dirt stops here."

They hadn't layed their first egg yet, so I sang them a song. You know the tune:

If you're happy and you know it lay an egg
    If you're happy and you know it lay an egg
    If you're happy and you know it, then an egg would surely show it
    If you're happy and you know it, lay an egg

Seriously, after a couple of time, they started clucking with me.

I had my first egg the next morning. [​IMG]

6. WoodlandWoman

WoodlandWoman Overrun With Chickens

May 8, 2007
    Wisconsin
    [​IMG]

Now I'll have that song in my head all day...

7. picklespickles

picklespickles Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 27, 2007
    that's hysterical i will try it.

8. arlee453

arlee453 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 13, 2007
    near Charlotte NC
    Gotta try that song - my girls are 19 wks now, so I'm not 'rushing' them or anything....but I've already started the 'omlettes or dumplings??' speech.

Maybe they will respond better to encouragements rather than thinly veiled threats. [​IMG]

9. WoodlandWoman

WoodlandWoman Overrun With Chickens

May 8, 2007
    Wisconsin
    Sheila, you should post that in the Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying section, with a title like, "The Egg Laying Song." I think it'll be a hit! [​IMG]

10. Lunachick

Lunachick Chicken Slave

Mar 19, 2007
    Brick, NJ
    My two red sex links are very friendly, and they always come running when I open the back door, If I don't have a dish with treats they just look at me for a minute to make sure I don't have anything for them, and they just waddle off somewhere.

But I did notice whatever greens I have left in the yard that they never touched in the summer is now gourmet pickins, I'm down to one azalea that doesn't look too bad. We'll see how those shrubs do in the spring.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by