If you kept only one breed...

The question is simple: if you could only keep one breed, whether or not you have it now, which one would you choose? I realize that this is a hard question, as a lot of people keep different breeds for different reasons. But the fun questions are rarely the easy ones. :D
I have several dual purpose breeds, but my favorites are my buckeye hens. They are very calm and have a sweet temperament. They also do not seem to be bothered by the summer heat as some of the others.

A smaller game type breed or maybe an Icelandic. They have good instincts, can fly away from predators, thrifty, forage well, go broody, a low maintenance, survivable bird.

No EE/Amera-Aracauna for me. That neck is so weird...

(We have them, I am just referring to, if there can be only one...)

Probably Rhode Island Reds. First Brown egg for me, and I started my flock after that. Pretty hardy and self sufficient.

Our Buff Orps a close, very close second. Delicious eggers and super friendly birds.

No EE/Amera-Aracauna for me. That neck is so weird...

Are you thinking of Turkens, also called naked necks? The ones with no feathers on their necks?

EE, Easter Egger, Ameraucana, Araucana are chickens that lay blue or green eggs. Their necks have always looked normal to me, just like any other chickens :confused: Although they often do have feathers on their faces (ear tufts for Araucana, muff/beard for Ameraucana and for many Easter Eggers.)

Are you thinking of Turkens, also called naked necks? The ones with no feathers on their necks?

EE, Easter Egger, Ameraucana, Araucana are chickens that lay blue or green eggs. Their necks have always looked normal to me, just like any other chickens :confused: Although they often do have feathers on their faces (ear tufts for Araucana, muff/beard for Ameraucana and for many Easter Eggers.)

No. They have this wierd like round head/neck thing. Like they are all wearing turtle necks. Smoking a pipe and listening to Jazz music.

Here is a screencap of our number 2 "Eaglet" and another one surrounded by our Asian Blacks.

turtleneck.JPG

I would say Pekins....they have such an amazing nature, love cuddles and lay enough eggs...and the cutest little floofy butts on the planet!!!

No. They have this wierd like round head/neck thing. Like they are all wearing turtle necks. Smoking a pipe and listening to Jazz music.

Here is a screencap of our number 2 "Eaglet" and another one surrounded by our Asian Blacks.

Oh, I see what you mean. You're right, that does look odd. But the Easter Eggers I have seen did not have that. Funny, how the "same" breed does not always look the same :)

Thanks for explaining!

The question is simple: if you could only keep one breed, whether or not you have it now, which one would you choose? I realize that this is a hard question, as a lot of people keep different breeds for different reasons. But the fun questions are rarely the easy ones. :D
Wyandotte bantams because I have em and love em but If I were doing something I didn't have I would get Toulouse geese

Back
Top Bottom