If you knew then what you know now...

Quote:
Yes! And chicken wire on a coop is pointless. Coons will rip it off like paper. Build it like Fort Knox. Don't forget about ventilation. Have a little back-up coop/pen for quarantine or broodies too. Spend lots of time with your birds- they will be friendlier
big_smile.png

Wow...that's a huge question. Here are my ideas:

1. Make the coop way bigger than you think you will need.
1a Make the run 3 times as big as you think you will need.
2. build the coop like Ft. Knox; use hardware cloth wire; DO NOT use chicken wire
3. Put an electric fence around the coop at the top and bottom...even if you think it's plenty safe. It will prevent predators from even coming near.
4. Put together a first aid kit before you even get them; antibiotics, skin glue if you can get some; betadine; neosporin; terramycin eye ointment; small scissors, tweezers, etc
5. Have your wormer and a worming plan in place and keep it charted
6. Make an spreadsheet ahead of time to track information about each bird...or use one of the "chicken trackers" offered here on BYC.
7. Have a plan in place for a caregiver in the event you need to leave for a few days.
8. Have a separate place for quarantine.
9. Make sure you have a couple of "sick" cages just in case you need to separate.

Any chick, I REPEAT, any chick you buy, hatch, receive, or steal, needs to be medicated for Merek's Diesease! I found this out the hard way.

Oh yea, no matter how many chickens you have, you'll find more you "need"!
lol.png

Be prepared to be obsessed.
As we care deeply for all our pets and animals we have become OCD on beak counting.

Learn to observe them, how they act, what they do, so you can determine when they aren't acting right.

Chickens don't know what is or isn't good for them and mine anyway taste first without knowing so I'm constantly
cleaning up stuff I don't want them to have.

Cleanliness is next to godliness for chickens also. Another thing we've become OCD about.

Handle them when young, get them used to you. I kept telling my wife, but because wives are wives, she learned the hard way.

Seasons change and so will the needs of your chickens think ahead of how to provide.

We do not clip wings, or beaks, nor spurs. God intended them to be what they are, it is up to us to deal with. We have a very large
yard for our chickens and we obsess about protecting them. We've planted shrubs and plants for them to hide. We have outiside
furniture for them to hide under or near. I'll also be making other shelters. Hawks will come out of no where and take one
from you.

You can never be to careful in making your coop predator proof. Predators are amazingly, uh, persistent in their quest for a chicken dinner.

No question is a dumb question.

Last edited:
I am fairly new at this too. A couple of things come to mind .....have your coop ready or nearly ready before you get the chicks. They grow faster than you think and then you scramble to finish it because they outgrow the brooder....

Be prepared for the mess when they are in the brooder, especially after a couple of weeks. You will need to clean it often...don't let the mess discourage you.

Avoid giving treats on the patio or deck where they will poop. Dried poop usually sweeps off fairly easily.

They will knock off plants that are on shelves or rails so plan ahead. As they have gotten a bit older this doesn't happen as often.

Now that they are older and free range in the yard most of the day I don't notice a lot mess. Because they are in the yard a lot and not in their coop/run the coop/run doesn't need as much cleaning.

The daily part of keeping chickens doesn't take long and it is fairly easy since they are older. I have enjoyed the chickens and their antics. I would do it again... good luck.

Back
Top Bottom