If you want True Ameraucanas this Spring ...

I picked up ten this spring at my local feed store through Townline in Zeeland, MI. Colors varried greatly and one of the girls is not a girl, but drop dead stunning beautiful. I'm thinking about trying to hatch a few in the spring if I can. Do you or anyone else have any suggestions?
8 hens are white with spots....one hen and rooster are brown/red. I'm wondering if I should only breed the brown/red or inclued them all.

From what I understand, if you got them from just a local feed store, 99.9999999999999% of the time they arnt pure. They will be crosses or EEs... Hatcheries don't often carry pure stock of the breed.

I'll preface this question by saying that I'm brand new to chickens, so hopefully you'll understand my lack of knowledge
tongue.png
, but... what differentiates a true Ameraucana from an EE? I have 3 "Ameraucana's" that I bought from a very good feed store in town. I understand that they're probably EE'rs, but curious as to the difference and how I might be able to tell. TIA!

You can go to the Ameraucana breeder's club to read all about them pure ameraucana. They are an ABA and APA recognized breed, should be bred to the standard of perfection and can be shown. EEs are cross bred - typically show some ameraucana characteristics, but not all. There is no standard for EEs and they cannot be shown. Both make great pets.

http://www.ameraucana.org/index.html

Jody

Thanks, for the input. I've been looking at all the info any you are right...I have the ee's.
I've gotten (my family thinks) un-naturally attached to the roo I got by mistake and one of the hens and will probably try for chicks in the spring anyway, but it is not with the goal of showing.

Thanks for the references!

Sadly.... I think I've fallen in love with the Blue Ameraucanas. Since I don't live anywhere near any of the breeders listed, I might be looking into purchasing some young chicks by mail next spring
wink.png

Of the 9 (yes, I'm new to poultry!) pullets that I have, one of my EE's is the sweetest, friendliest bird. Since the day I brought the chicks home (about 3 days old) she's been "mama's little girl". I love the way she "talks" to me and follows me around! ::: sigh ::: chicken love at first sight!

Thanks again!

Back
Top Bottom