igloo dog house?

Quote:
Sunny_Side_Up, I don't suppose you have any pics of the doors on your igloos? I'd really be interested to see how you've done this as it would be nice to have a "back up" option in case I need another coop or need to use my igloo as my main coop one day.

Great ideas everyone!!!! I do need a pic of the free standing roosts though--can't seem to picture it in my mind!! Can't wait to get to work on the igloo-my hens are in a 8' x 12' chain link dog pen so they may as well have a dog house to roost in huh? I am a little concerned that the igloo will take up too much room in the kennel though.

PICS PLEASE!!!
pop.gif
:pop:pop You guys are awesome for ideas!!! I'm envisioning the igloo with the door/ramp built up off the ground and the underneath "run area" with hardware cloth or chicken wire!!! Thinkin....mama and babies coop or rooster bach. pad!!! Ok...I NEED pics!!!
caf.gif
(Does Popcorn & cofee go together???)
gig.gif
I guess everything goes with COFFEE when you have as many little ones as I do(LOL)!!!

OK-I have another question. How many hens would be comfortable in the igloo-I think it is the large or extra large size. I have four hens in the pen I want to put it in. Would they be too crowded?

Alabama49, could you set the dog house up on blocks? Then the chickens would still have room underneath to use, and the house for comfortable sleeping. If the kennel is secure you wouldn't need to put a door on it. HEchicken, the door construction varies depending on the material I'm using. I use zip-ties like hinges on to the side or the top. I'll try to get photos.

OOH, please someone post some pictures. I am getting a pair of Mille Fleur D'uccles soon and was wondering where I could keep them. This would be perfect. I have an XXl dogloo and would like to see how to convert it. Once I do, problem solved.

If it were a large house and a small hen you could block the door with something ventilated and she could eat, drink, poop, and set in there. You could tend to her food/water at night by lifting up the roof, and scoop up her big broody poop too. If it were a larger hen or a smaller house you could rig up a pen to cover the opening & give her some room outside for her basic needs.

ive got a couple of these that i plan to use to make breeding pens for my bantams with. i think im just gonna build a 4x4x4 run, with the doghouse mounted on top and a hole in the bottom of the doghouse so they can climb in from under it. i plan on making the nest box where the original entrance was. cover it with plywood and cut out a egg door. and put a roost in it. should be real light and real easy to move. and i dont plan on having more than 3 bantams in something this size.

it will be a few weeks before i do this, when i do ill post pics.

You could very easily put a roost in by measuring at the widest part of igloo just before it starts to slant in to the dome. Take the top off and place your roost in and screw it from the out side with wood or drywall screws. As for a door if you cut wood the same size as the interior of the door way you could then place the wood inside the doorway and screw from the outside ( at the bottom of the sides of the doorway) so as to make a kind of hinge so the wood/door opens like a draw bridge and then one screw at the very top to close/open. I put a little window in my door for ventilation and can cover it with cardboard or plastic if the weather gets really bad. I did this to use in my quarentine pen and it worked very well.

Did any of that make sense? I am not to good at explaining.

Back
Top Bottom