Illegal to Advertise Nest Run Eggs as "Fresh" or "Local"?

Because its good practice anyways, I date my eggs (OK< my washable, sanitizable flats are coded). So when I set up to offer eggs for sale, the date they were pulled from the nest is displayed.)

Whether or not that's "fresh" is something the buyer can judge for themselves.
I'm probably gonna start dating the eggs soon.
I'll order some date labels next month. I have a few, but not enough for all of the cartons I have.

Apparently I can't advertise as Fresh, or any of these either.
(7) A person shall not by himself or herself or his or her agents sell, offer, or expose for sale, advertise, or in any manner represent for sale as strictly fresh, hennery, new laid, best, grade A, number 1, fancy, special, extra, selected, direct from the farm, or under any word, figures, symbols, or description of similar import, any eggs which are not fresh
I'm not sure what I'm reading here.

Eggs from the store can't really be called fresh, alot of the times they're setting in the refrigerated shelves for weeks, even months. Especially those that get bought last, the ones at the back.
Farmer's Almanac: "By law, an egg can be sold for up to 30 days after the date it was put in the carton. And farmers have up to 30 days to go from when the egg is laid to the carton. That means those supermarket eggs can be two months old by the time you buy them."
Yup, but they're USDA approved and just have to be safer and more nutritious than those contraband ones from the farm!

Back
Top Bottom